Clear all

Kuh Thunk! 1970 R75/5 Clutch flywheel transmission

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
mark von aldenbruck
(@blind-lemon-pie)
Topic starter

Last September I was riding back home to San Clemente, California on a 1990 Honda Transalp I had found on Craigslist in Rochester New York. My Clutch cable broke coming into South Dakota and I was waiting in Deadwood for the new one to arrive when I stumbled across a white 1970 R75/5 toaster with just over 32,000 miles on it and fell in love and purchased it. I joined the ABC and have used many of the fantastic Wobbly articles on carburetor and valve adjustment. After putting about 1500 miles on it since October, my wife and I decided to ride over the Ortega Hwy into Corona to watch a friend play his Sax with a reggae band.. We wanted to leave on time to make it back over the mountain before dark. While cruising down the 15 at about 70mph I felt through the footpads (and heard) a violent kuh thunk. I pulled in the clutch turned off the engine and coated to safety. I kicked it through with the ignition off a few times and it felt alright so I kick started it and heard an audible rattle rattle clank clank so I turned it off. AAA picked us up and brought is home. The next morning I pulled the valve covers and the valve were close to spec and the engine turned over easy with the spark plugs removed. I then pulled the pan and found no metal in the sump or oil pickup. I think the next step is to pull the transmission and inspect the flywheel and clutch to see what might have happened. Any help or clues to what might have happened would be greatly appreciated. I have a workshop manual. Today I will drain the transmission and look for metal. Thank you all out there in advance for any help. (I wish that I could have made the "Ralley in the alley tech day in San Diego!)

Posted : 03/17/2019 15:32
Chris Dazet
(@15087)
Eminent Member

Sounds similar to an incident I had, one of the bolts came loose off the clutch plate and rattled around till it lodged at the bottom. If you remove the timing rubber plug, with a lite you may be able to see if that is the issue.

Posted : 03/20/2019 08:41
mark von aldenbruck
(@blind-lemon-pie)
Topic starter

Thank you for the suggestion. I turned the engine over slowly at the alternator and looked into the timing hole and the outside of the flywheel seems to be intact, however, the hole is to small to see very much. I will be pulling the transmission to inspect. It looks like I will need a turned down 27mm socket to remove the swing arm and a clutch alignment tool. Any other special tools?

Posted : 03/20/2019 16:01
Chris Dazet
(@15087)
Eminent Member

I'm thinking that this posting will be moved to 'Technical Discussions' where someone more tech wise than I will assist you further. Be patient, there are some very skilled mechanics here.

Posted : 03/20/2019 16:42
mark von aldenbruck
(@blind-lemon-pie)
Topic starter

I drained the transmission today in preparation for removing it and found a gear tooth 13mm in width. I removed the transmission breather bolt that holds in the speedometer drive cable and it lifts about 3mm out of the transmission but will not come out, any tips? Are those torx head bolts that attach the U-joint?

Posted : 03/20/2019 18:50
mark von aldenbruck
(@blind-lemon-pie)
Topic starter

Awesome, thank you Scot for moving my post and advice. I will try prying the speedo cable up.
Regards, Mark.

Posted : 03/20/2019 19:39

Advertisement

Scroll to top