loose wiggling BMW side cases panniers

9 Posts
6 Users
4 Likes
Danforth DeSena
(@danforth-desena)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hey Brother and Sister Airheads, this must have been discussed already but darned if i can find it......

Q: What remedies are there for my 1985 R80 with loose original BMW side cases on original racks?  I wouldn't leave home without  the Airhead straps - they are help a LOT - but there must be some additional top-secret safeguards known to only a few.  I am thinking of a soft rubber split grommet or tube hack that could fill the gap between the luggage frame and the side case.  I have used water pipe insulation - it works great for a week - then compresses out.

Thanks,

Dan    

Posted : 10/16/2023 10:17
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Dan -

I used strips of self-adhesive, 3/4" wide weather striping on mine and they were perfect. Weather striping is supposed to be crushed, so it won't take a set. 

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 10/16/2023 16:42
David Elkow
(@4949)
Reputable Member

Hello Dan,

It’s a near certainty that you already have this in place, but here I go anyway;  the rubber plug that is sold for the timing hole in the engine, fits in the holes in the “gussets” in the upper corners of the luggage rack (2 per side). Picture attached. This greatly improves the fit. 

Posted : 10/17/2023 15:15
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

I also have a 1985 R80. It came to me with segments of rubber cut from an inner tube and zip tied to the carriers for the purpose of snugging up the fit. 

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 10/20/2023 05:20
Danforth DeSena
(@danforth-desena)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys, all good.  David, maybe I ASSumed incorrectly the carriers are BMW.  Mine look nothing like yours.......  chrome, no gussets..... 

Posted : 10/21/2023 19:19
David Elkow
(@4949)
Reputable Member

@danforth-desena well, your chrome ones sure look great!

Posted : 10/25/2023 19:13
Kenneth McDonald
(@13293)

I use rubber corner guards  procured from the local Ace Hardware store. Have them on my Toaster and my 1986 R80RT. You only need a small piece, maybe 2-4 inches applied at the correct location on the bags. Works like a champ and I still have a couple pieces after 10 years or so......

This post was modified 6 months ago by Kenneth McDonald

Posted : 10/31/2023 11:53
Eric Morales
(@emoralesr45)
Trusted Member

My local Air Marshall used a few timing cover plugs on the rack of my bike to help with the looseness. I then bought some velcro straps from amazon and held very well. Just be careful not to wrap it around the muffler and burn it off like I did. LOL Link attached

https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Cinch-Straps-40-Multipurpose/dp/B01G4IVN4S/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=2JSHKYAS50E35&keywords=velcro+straps&qid=1698892013&sprefix=velcr%2Caps%2C106&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Posted : 11/01/2023 19:29
Danforth DeSena
(@danforth-desena)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

"rubber corner guards"  .... like that idea, got some plastic ones and they were still loose, will look for thicker rubber ones.. Thanks!

"wrap it around the mufflers" - uh, well, I already did that but wasn't going to tell anyone... its nice to have company, and it is easier to do than you would think! I will say the ones from the Airstore are fairly fireproof.....  😆  

Posted : 11/18/2023 09:16

Advertisement

Scroll to top