New Member - New to Motorcycles and to my 1975/76 R90/6

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Greg Wilson
(@beemerluv)
Topic starter

Hello Everyone,
My name is Greg (Beemerluv) and I just acquired a 1975/76 R90/6. It is my very first bike. I am excited to learn to ride. It is in extremely good condition (so says my consultant) having just 43,000 miles on the clock. I have been riding around the neighborhood in an attempt to familiarize myself with operating the controls. I literally have a total of about 45 minutes in the seat. Everything was going swimmingly until I parked it today turned of the key and put it on the center stand. I noticed that the headlight and taillight remained illuminated whereupon I tried to turn the key to the on position. The key would rotate in the cylinder. I did notice that the nut holding the ignition key in the cylinder was not completely tight, so I tightened it. Key still will not rotate. I disconnected the negative terminal to save the battery. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Happy to be a new member. Cheers,
-Greg

Posted : 07/13/2020 14:49
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Welcome Aboard !

Hi Greg !

► There is a key position provided for emergency parking in which the ignition is OFF, but the tail lamp is ON. That is the key position I think you've located. However, no special incantations or animal sacrifices are required to get the key into or out of that key position. It's simply one of 3 key positions: ON, OFF and Emergency. What may have happened is that the ignition key is not the precise correct one. When you loose the key on your BMW there is no coded number or special marking that allows you to have the dealership make a new key. So many people cast around among their riding buddies and find a key that seems to work. But they only work OK, not great. When using THAT key, you may have to wiggle, and giggle and make the correct facial expression. Unfortunately I believe that's where you are.

The BMW uses a steel key, which is so hard that most key duplicators refuse to cut the blanks. If it were a brass key, as is commonly used, it would eventually wear in and the giggling would slowly go away. But, owing to the tough BMW key material, what you have now is what you're always going to have. So if you do not have the original factory key, the occasional sticking in place is most probably going to be the norm.

Second part of the story.... the reason people do this key swap thing is because BMW no longer sells the replacement ignition switches.... only key blanks. There are aftermarket ignition switch replacements available from people like Motorrad Eliktrik (whom you need to know anyway) for the sum of (around) $150. Which is why people put up with the key wiggling to begin with !!

Bottom line:
• If it's the stock key, then make sure it's fully seated.
• If it's not the original key, try dancing and standing on your head while you wiggle the key.
• Meet my friend Rick Jones at Motorrad Eliktrik.... http://motoelekt.com/

► I'm excited you want to ride, but I sure don't envy you learning to ride. Back in the mid 60's my brother simply threw me the keys to his motorcycle and said "Go learn". But it's very different now. Car drivers (your number one enemy) are so distracted they they do not take the time to look for motorcycles. If you'll read the Hurt Report, you'll see that 3/4 of all motorcycle accidents are frontal. Cars look, don't see you, then pull directly in front of you. Therefore, you need to do everything in your power to be seen. You need a warning yellow helmet and a bright warning orange riding jacket. (Black jackets and helmets are a death certificate.) Then, you need to go ride where there ARE NO CARS !! Way out in the farm lands. Hurt Report link

I highly advise a motorcycle safety course. That will get your survival skills way up really fast. The only additional advice is to say that a motorcycle is NOT a cheap convertible car. If you treat it like that you'll be killed. Treat it with respect, as if you were piloting a plane, complete with pre-flight checks of controls, lights and tire pressures. Treat it like an airplane because, unlike the convertible, you don't have to option to pull off onto the road's shoulder.

► Lastly, not only will you need to learn riding skills, but you'll also need to learn vintage motorcycle maintenance. You can't take your bike to the local Honda shop for a quick check over because it was built before 90% of the mechanics alive were even born. So for your own safety, you need to learn to service your own machine. Your motorcycle is a vintage machine. It is actually closer to being a Ford Model T than any 2-wheeled vehicle now being sold. As such it requires special vintage oils, vintage tools and vintage tuning techniques. I HIGHLY advise you locate and attend your next local Tech Day, so you can meet local area riding buddies and start your complete Airhead education.

Here's a primer on all things Airhead. Learn it, ask questions about it, BEFORE you need it. Click Here

And please put your general location in your profile so that other members can help you.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/14/2020 09:16
Greg Wilson
(@beemerluv)
Topic starter

The very best advice. Thank you, Wobbly. Fortunately, I have a second key which actually looks brand new and seems to work flawlessly. To your point, it physically looks different from the first one.

Posted : 07/14/2020 10:52
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Greg -
I'll do everything I can to help you, but obviously the "teach by wire", however good it might be for disease prevention, precludes a LOT of the necessary nitty-gritty detail. That's why I highly recommend getting in touch with your state's "AirMarshal" and attend the next Tech Day. You need to fully immerse yourself in motorcycles in general (especially motorcycle safety) and Airheads in particular, or you need to fully get out.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but you can see from the Hurt Report alone that this past time (in its level of danger) is more akin to Bungee Jumping than bicycle riding !! The up-side is that with greater danger comes greater sense of satisfaction and enjoyment. Especially when you are able to maintain your own machine. You have to do this because even if you have a good Airhead shop within walking distance, you cannot possibly afford to take it in for every little hiccup. It's a vintage machine.... so face it, it's going to hiccup every day !! You're going to need to know the difference between a hiccup, a cough, and a sneeze.

I have long maintained that there's only 2 ways you get to enjoy riding a glorious vintage machine: 1) You're as rich as Jay Leno, or 2) you have the wherewithal to keep it running yourself. If you'll immerse yourself, then you could be conceivably riding this machine for the next 50 years ! Think of it. This could actually be your first and last motorcycle !!

Welcome to Airheads !

Posted : 07/14/2020 11:35
Greg Wilson
(@beemerluv)
Topic starter

I know that safety is paramount. Today I was able to get into 3rd gear. Not fast, mind you. Just smooth and steady. Finally getting the feel of clutch pressure, throttle application and downshifting. Practice makes perfect, but a long way from it at this point. I can totally see the fascination for long-distance cruising!

Posted : 07/14/2020 20:30
Richard W
(@wobbly)

And please put your general location in your profile so that other members can help you.

Has someone looked at the bike to make sure it's safe to ride ? Do you have the correct air pressure in the tires ? Is the engine oil level correct ? Are the front brakes in good shape ? Are the tires in good shape, with a recent date code ?

You'll get there !!

Posted : 07/14/2020 21:28
Craig Willson
(@humble-bub)
Trusted Member

Having been to the ‘Wobbly school of patience’ I have read most of what is written here and this advice is one of the best I have seen.

Posted : 07/15/2020 08:15

Advertisement

Scroll to top