Clear all

R100T Not Charging

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Scott Surdyka
(@sbsurdykayahoo-com)
Topic starter

My Alternator Light Is Low glowing. Raving the engine does not change the intensity of the light. The Voltage meter shows 10-11 Volts. My Battery draining and not charging. In the past when I had this problem and replacing the brushes fixed the issue.This time when the light started the low dim glow, replacing the brushes this time did not fix the problem. I then replaced the Alternator, Rectifier, Voltage regulator and all the wiring connected to them with no Fix to the problem. A lot of time and expense with no resolution. Please help !

Let Me know if you can help ! Thanks

Scott Surdyka spopsurdyka@yahoo.com

Posted : 05/12/2019 02:02
Richard W
(@wobbly)

A model year would really help.

My only suggestion is that the battery charges though the battery cables. All 4 terminals on the 2 cables must be clean and well terminated. Pop off the starter cover (2 bolts) and see if you find aqua-green corrosion on the Positive battery cable connection. If so, then replace the entire Positive cable.

Acid Soaked Positive Cable

The Negative battery cable has an equally tough time making a good connection. This is due to the low torque of the speedometer cable hold-down bolt that BMW chose for termination.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 05/12/2019 19:27
Richard W
(@wobbly)

First, get a copy of Rick Jones' charging system book from Motorrad Elektrik and read it.

That is a great little book, isn't it !

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 05/13/2019 13:43

Advertisement

Scroll to top