RT bellows

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Courtney Black
(@dcb_wvu)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I have an 88 RT that is running is superb condition after the maintenance performed at a recent Tech Day that I hosted. Many thanks to the FL Airheads who assisted. I am down to some very small but important projects. I have the new "bellows" installed around the fork tubes. These are the rubber pieces that close out the holes in the underside of the fairing. I seem to be able to get them mostly installed but they will pop right back out over time, very short period of time. What are the tips and tricks for getting this installed? Any advice or recommendations on tooling is appreciated. With winter upon us (okay, I am in Florida, I know...) I wanted to get these things in soon.

Courtney
Airhead #16121
BMWNEF #1000648
MOA #216663

Posted : 12/06/2018 12:03
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I have seen people use the yellow 3M Weather Strip Cement, also known in the industry as "gorilla snot". This will adhere rubber in place, but it can be very messy to deal with and very hard to clean up off painted surfaces.

You might have better luck with adhesive silicone sealers. You can buy a small tube at Lowe's or Home Depot and it will have the word "adhesive" on the label. This is not super adhesive stuff, like a "super glue". It's only mildly adhesive, but should work well in your stress-free application. It will not disturb or ruin your painted surfaces, and cleans up easily. Clean up is best done after 2 hours. The downside is that it will leave a coating on the surface that nothing else will stick to, so a trial or test should be carried out.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 12/06/2018 18:33
Brian Swanick
(@thundermotive)
Estimable Member

I replaced them on my RS and I had problems with them coming out, dabbled with rubber cement etc. Finally I made sure they were securely in all the way around. I went around several times as they almost seem to be too small for the openings. I then put a heavy bead of clear RTV bathroom caulk all the way around on the bottom. I let the RTV set up for several days before I moved it. I've got about 5 months on them so far. I'm still leary about turning the bars all the way to the stops. Good luck!

Posted : 12/06/2018 23:52
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

The last time I installed these parts was on an '88 R100RS. They would almost certainly be identical. I used a 3M product called "emblem adhesive". It is not "Gorilla Snot" yellow, but totally clear. I filled the groove in the bellows when they were positioned on the fork tubed ready to be placed. I also did a dry fitting to practice getting them placed and seated before I did it for real. Make sure both surfaces are clean. After I rolled them in to position and was satisfied that they were fully seated, I walked away for a few days. You must make sure that the groove in the top of the rubber is fully engaged because this adhesive goes off fairly quickly. I'm talking about a few minutes. That is why I dry fitted them first. I actually did the dry run a couple of times to make sure I could get them seated quickly. Keep an eye on them for 5 minutes or so, and if they stay put, you will be fine. It could be kind of messy , so be sure to wipe off any excess on the outside of the fairing openings, or not.
Best of luck...

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 12/08/2018 13:18
Courtney Black
(@dcb_wvu)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks, guys. So it appears patience is the main tool, then some adhesive. I must say, they do have a nice groove in them top and bottom so it does appear they will stick if positioned correctly. Since I know it can be done successfully, I will just get after it! and look for those products too. Many thanks.

Posted : 12/09/2018 11:59
Jim Wilson
(@1559)
Estimable Member

I completely removed the stock fairing 'boots' when I added 13 rib gators to my R90SRS.

TBS, you can leave the 'boots' in situ but modify them to work with the bellows.
there is a specific cut line as seen in the pics.
BTW, , , if you need the pins that were stock for fork bellow/ gators ........ go buy a 'ROLL PIN' from a hardware store. size 5/32 by 2'' long . the 'boots' don't stay in when they are tugged by the gators . using a super glue or gorilla type or 3M rubber glue may help. know that gorilla glue EXPANDS when it dries. this may cause an issue, maybe not ???
modifing the boots if you still want them may be your best. BUTT as I said I completely removed them and have NO ISSUE w/out them.

that HOLLOW pin is ....a MUST HAVE

Posted : 12/16/2018 17:31

Advertisement

Scroll to top