Clear all

Stripped drive shaft drain plug

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Vince Sidwell
(@dadsr65)
Topic starter

Starting a rebuild of a 1980 R65 that hasn't run for 20 years. Drained oil pan, transmission, and final drive. Went to drain rear of drive shaft, but drain plug just spins and doesn't come out. Suggestions on how to remove and how to fix? I'm assuming I'll need to remove and disassemble all the bits to repair.

Posted : 11/12/2017 14:03
Scott Fleming
(@13807)

MotoPhoenix video on the thread repair link below.

https://youtu.be/k22JIBx9-CQ

I was able to remove a stripped final drive plug by prying it up with a screw driver and simultaneously turning the nut counter clockwise. Initially the screwdriver caused the plug/bolt to come out at an angle or shall I say cocked to one side. Eventually it caught the remaining threads near the opening and I was able to unscrew by hand. Apparently the previous owner didn't have an affection for crush washers and the bolt had been torqued too many times on the bottom few threads thus wearing them away.

Posted : 11/25/2017 06:47
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

To put reverse pressure on the stubborn plug, I would consider using a "Wonder Bar" or other nail puller and grind out the notch to the size of the threaded shank. I would also recommend researching drain plugs with over-sized threads. This would be the quickie solution, and oversized thread plugs do not wallow out the hole to the point where you are prohibited from using a heli-coil or time-sert at a later date. I installed an over sized "piggy back' plug on the drain plug of a 4 speed transmission several years ago. It worked beautifully.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 11/25/2017 11:50
Vince Sidwell
(@dadsr65)
Topic starter

Excellent video, thanks. I put a Helicoil in it yesterday. Pretty straightforward.

Posted : 11/27/2017 08:38
Houston McIntyre
(@hhm-creative)

Another spot that was stripped out too when I got my bike. I have a slightly larger steel bolt cut super short so it doesn't touch the shaft. I used the steel bolt ever so gently back and forth to cut new threads.

Posted : 12/14/2017 23:25

Advertisement

Scroll to top