Clear all

'76 R90/6: Headlight modulator ?

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Jon Watkins
(@914eener)
Topic starter

1976 R90/6 with stock H4. I’m thinking about adding a headlight modulator. Does anyone have any experience adding this to an otherwise stock headlight system? What brands? How difficult to install/wire?

Posted : 04/05/2020 11:16
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I've been running a modulator since your bike was new ! I love them, and I won't ride a bike without one.

I like to find the wired version (a lump with wires coming out) of new-old-stock modulators on Ebay. I typically pay about $20-25 per. Look for the basic "universal" units, not the ones that fit one specific bike and have 87 wires coming out of the module. Installation is extremely simple, because they only work on the Hi Beam (the White wire inside the headlamp shell). There are 3 or 4 major brands and they all work and install the same way.

Module Prep
• On the Power Input lead going into the Modulator, apply a Female (socket) 1/4" spade terminal. [Wire A]
• On the Modulator output lead, install a Male 1/4" spade terminal. [Wire B]
• On the Modulator Return ("ground") lead apply a Female (socket) 1/4" spade terminal. [Wire C]

Installation
• Unplug the White lead from the multi-color circuit board, and onto the same circuit board terminal, connect the Power lead going into the module. [Wire A]
• Plug the White wire coming from the headlamp bulb into the Modulator output wire. [Wire B]
• Plug the Modulator Return ("ground") wire [Wire C] onto a vacant terminal on the multi-color circuit board in the Brown area.
• The body of the Modulator can lay in the bottom of the headlamp shell, tucked into any open space. If you want you can use double-sided tape to hold it in place.

Daylight Sensor
• Most Modulators will have an IR sensor that turns the unit OFF at night or when you enter a tunnel. Simply route this sensor lead to any convenient place outside of the headlamp shell. You'll need to work the sensor through one of the several rubber grommets already in the shell. The sensor does not need to be in direct sunlight. If you have a fairing, it can be tucked under the fairing. If you have a naked bike, then you can use cable ties to strap it to the clutch cable behind the headlamp shell. If you try to "get fancy" and strap it to your mirror stem, it will only get in the way. The sensor doesn't even need to be pointed in any particular direction, so keep it simple.

► The modules only works on Hi Beam. If you come to a traffic stop, then you need to display a bit of riding etiquette and flip to Low Beam while stopped. However, I guarantee that within the first month you'll experience several instances of cars about to pull out and then jamming on their breaks because you and your bike become radically visible.

On the lighter side, some cars you approach from the rear will think you are an emergency vehicle and they will pull off the road to allow you to pass. That's just fine with me. In mountainous regions where passing is nearly impossible, application of the modulator will have them pulling over at the next scenic overlook simply to allow you to pass. So there are other advantages beyond the safety aspects.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 04/05/2020 17:03
Jon Watkins
(@914eener)
Topic starter

Thanks Wobbly. I’ll start looking on ebay.

Posted : 04/05/2020 19:33
Richard W
(@wobbly)

The 3 main makers are Kriss, Kisan & Signal Dynamics.

Been a long time since I looked at one of these, and they've gotten really fancy. Now they not only modulate the headlamp but control the brake lamp and pulse the blinkers too. Don't get one of those. The Hurt Report found that 75% of all m/c accidents are frontal. As great as the fear is of being hit from behind, it's the car turning in front that you must guard against. Car drivers are too distracted to see you.

Let me know how your search is going. I may have a spare around here somewhere.

Forgot to say, but these work equally well on LED or standard H4 headlamp bulbs. I highly advise installing a 2500-3000 lumen LED at the same time to get seen during the day. If being seen from the rear is important, them start by installing LED tail lamp bulbs straight from: https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/motorcycle/

All the best.

Posted : 04/05/2020 22:24
Jon Watkins
(@914eener)
Topic starter

Didn’t find a nos Unit that I was comfortable with on ebay. Found a plug and play H4 unit that is programmable on Amazon. Super easy install...plug the original wiring harness H4 plug into the modulator wiring harness and plug the modulator wiring harness into the H4 bulb.

Posted : 04/05/2020 22:37
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I believe Kisan did it that way for several years. Yes, it's very slick, but the BMW has limited room behind the bulb due to the circuit board. And if you're going to add an LED bulb, then most of those also need that same space.

Posted : 04/06/2020 09:26

Advertisement

Scroll to top