'83 R100RS: Crankcase breather

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Brian Swanick
(@thundermotive)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

My 83 RS has had the air injection to the exhaust ports removed and plugged very professionally. There is now nothing under the air filter except the two intake stacks and the end of the breather on the front wall of the air box. The oil eventually coats the inside of the air box and makes a mess of the engine. Is there something that is supposed to direct the breather fumes to the carburetors. I can't seem to find this on a fiche anywhere.

Posted : 05/02/2020 13:57
Richard W
(@wobbly)

There are multiple specially formed rubber hoses which route the breather into the return cover and then from the return cover to one or more of the carb intake tubes. I understand these shaped hose are no longer available. These are shown on the Engine Ventilation fiche, which is with the engine group. Here At Diagram #11

Any tight fitting hose should work as long as it can be bent without kinking. You might even try shaping a piece of flexible copper pipe if the bends are too tight. What's coming out of the breather isn't a huge volume of air, and there really shouldn't be much oil. The breather is mostly to rid the engine of water vapor.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 05/02/2020 15:19
Brian Swanick
(@thundermotive)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Wobbly, you're correct, it's not a lot of oil. I used a piece of white 1/2" polyethylene tubing RTV'ed into the breather and directed it to the intake for the right side carb.

Posted : 05/02/2020 16:04

Advertisement

Scroll to top