'83 R100RS Thermostat/Oil Filter Cover bolts

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Steven Shockley
(@14922)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I've been watching the Brook Reams YouTube video on changing oil and he discusses replacing the standard bolts with allen head bolts. I've been searching the parts microfiche (Bob's BMW) and I can't even find a part number for the standard bolt. Any idea where to find the allen head bolts, or the p/n for the standard bolt?

Posted : 03/20/2023 07:46
Richard W
(@wobbly)

You can buy the M6 SHCS fastener at any good hardware store in black or stainless. Both will be Grade 5 or higher. Just remove one stock hex bolt and match the shank length when you get to the store.

Yes, using this method you'll pay 59 cents for a 12 cent fastener, but you're only buying 3 (and maybe a spare). 

[It's important to state that the change in fasteners does not mean an increase in fastener torque. More torque does not prevent oil leaks... replacing the o-ring (in the case of oil cooler models o-rings) prevents leaks.]

IMHO, this "advantage" really only works if you also buy the 5mm hex socket to use on the end of a "speed handle". In this way you can access the fastener straight on, rather than from the side (as you presently do with a spanner).

Hope this helps.

This post was modified 1 year ago by Richard W

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 03/21/2023 08:24
Steven Shockley
(@14922)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks Richard. 

Posted : 03/21/2023 11:49
Richard W reacted

Advertisement

Scroll to top