Clear all

[Solved] 89/90 US import with kilometer speedometer

2 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Craig Turpin
(@craig-turpin)
Topic starter

I THINK this is the correct place to post this inquiry, if not apologies in advance.  I just purchased a 1990 model GSPD. According to bmbikes the vin, 6134101 indicates 6/89 production.  The bike was purchased new in Florida, but it has a km only speedometer.  I know it is one of the earlier BMW built GSPDs (if I understand the bmbikes site correctly, it would be the 100th import to the US), so MAYBE that explains it, (they didn't have MPH speedos for the GSPD yet... but probably not)?  Does anyone know if the other early bikes had km only speedometers?  An alternate explanation may be that the original owner requested the km speedometer because he was planning a European tour in the future?  He had it shipped back to Europe for adventuring (according to intermediate owner's reporting, and verified by a "Motorrad-Rosenow" service stamp in 1992).  Any info/thoughts on this are greatly appreciated!   

This topic was modified 3 years ago by Craig Turpin

Posted : 07/15/2021 07:24
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I believe BMW would supply whatever you wanted. My parents took delivery of a new RT in Germany about 1985 and that bike's speedo was in MPH. 

As an aside, I'll tell you a funny story. About 1984 my parents took a Beach Tour, where you purchased a new BMW from the factory, rode all over Europe for several weeks, then rode it back to the factory where they packed it up in a crate as if it was new. That crate was then flown to Boston where it was un-crated, serviced and you would ride that same bike back to your home. Everything went fine. 

On the way home from Boston, my parents pulled off the interstate for gas at a random stop in SC. At the gas station was a pile of Airheads, and some riders they recognized. In talking to them they found out there was an Airhead rally just down the road. Them being retired and not in any particular hurry, decided to follow the group and see what was going on. 

At the registration desk they were asked how far they had driven. That was easy, they simply looked at the mileage on their new speedometer. They had truthfully ridden to that rally via Germany, Switzerland, France, Italy, Belgium, and who know where else, and then from Boston. Total mileage was probably close to 4000 miles. Of course, they won the Long Distance Trophy hands down. 

Now here's where it gets funny. Attending that same rally was a guy from California, who had chosen that specific local BMWOA rally to attend, so that HE could win the Long Distance Trophy. One would naturally figure that CA to SC would be a distance no local or east coast rider could match. And he would have, except for the 70+ couple from Canton, GA on the brand new RT with European travel stickers all over their luggage !

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/16/2021 15:32
ray wilson reacted

Advertisement

Scroll to top