Aftermarket R90s Flanders bars

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Lawrence Ayotte
(@8244)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I'm in the process of changing my R65 around to suit me. One of the mods is using R90s bars behind a replica S fairing. I bought a 22mm bar made by Flanders that is called R90s type. The problem with that bar was the inner diameter is smaller than the stock bar and my bar end signals wouldn't fit. Last weekend I bought an OEM bar at a swap meet to solve that problem. When I put these bars side by side, I found that the Flanders bar was 2-3 " wider than stock beside being thicker walled with the resulting inner diameter problem. Forewarned is forearmed!

Mark

Posted : 02/06/2018 08:51
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Just a few comments...
• An original or very good pattern R90S fairing needs the stock front turn signal posts (at the standard position just below the headlamp ears) for the bottom fairing mount.

• The R65 can get away with an after market handlebar fairing becasue it uses a standard 7" headlamp, and not the 190mm headlamp found on the larger twins.

• While the thicker walled Fanders bars might preclude the use of your bar-end mirrors, flashers, or some brands of grip heaters, a thicker wall handlebar is actually very desirable thing for handling.

• My personal preference is always for a wider bar that can then be tailored to my personal width preference using a simple-to-use $15 tubing cutter. This becasue removing material is always preferable to needing more, and not being able to add it on.

Still, all good points. Thank you.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 02/06/2018 11:38
Lawrence Ayotte
(@8244)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I agree that the heavier Flanders bar was very nice (the stock one feel flimsy in comparison), but so are my bar end signals. I suppose I could have drilled the ends to fit my signals, but I took the easy way out. I still have the signal stocks, as they are part of the headlight mounting plate on an R65 and I avoid slicing and dicing if I don't have to.

Posted : 02/06/2018 12:00
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Options you might also consider...

• Some after-market handlebar fairings offer built-in turn signals, similar to the RS and RT fairings.

• Ebay and Amazon are covered up with after-market rear view mirror pods that also include turn signals. (Heck, I have a new pair sitting in my garage I'll give you for the price of postage !) The extended reach of these type mirrors might offer advantages that bar-end mirrors do not when used with a fairing.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 02/06/2018 12:14
Lawrence Ayotte
(@8244)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I went with clamp on bar end Albert style mirrors with Hella style bar end signals. I'm sure that there are more efficient ways of doing this, but I am going for a classic look.

Mark

Posted : 02/06/2018 16:37

Advertisement

Scroll to top