Deep oil pan on 1975 R90S

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Samuel Kahr
(@baikalrider)
Topic starter

Hey guys,

I am interested in installing a deep oil pan for my '75 R90S. I am concerned, however, about the oil sump and dipstick. I did not purchase a kit that includes the oil sump extender (I just got the oil pan in a box of spare parts). Doing a little research it seems like post '81 RSes and RTs had the deeper oil pan and deeper sump. I can pick up such a sump off of ebay on the cheap. Will putting such a sump on my 90S work with the deep oil pan? Also, will a dip stick off of an RS or RT be suitable for an 90S with the deep sump? Ullage is my new favorite word by the way 🙂

Posted : 06/12/2016 16:16
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I am far from an expert on this subject, but my research reveals people add these for 2 reasons: 1) more engine oil volume, and 2) lowering the fluid level of the existing oil volume. Both are needed in certain cases. A mix of the 2 seems to be optimal.

More engine oil as an aid to lower oil temps can be good, but these engines run so much cooler than most air-cooled engines to begin with. Oil does need to be warm enough to cook off the entrapped water, so "cold" oil can be just as harmful as "hot" oil. Also recognize that a sport rider in Arizona has different needs from a Sunday-only bimbler in North Carolina. So blanket claims of deep oil pan effectiveness simply DON'T hold up under scrutiny.

Deep pans on Ebay are generally WAY over priced. Don't pay more than $112 for the pan, gasket, AND extended pick up tube. Here's why.... Click Here. Note that most Ebay ads only contain the pan !!

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 06/13/2016 14:43
Steven Leckrone
(@9379)

My "77" R100s came with one when I bought it used in 1989.
I have the stock stick and I believe the stock pick up length, which I've been told is correct.
The only issue is the center stand will had to be changed to the old school ride off stand. (that I can not recommend for safety reasons)

Posted : 06/21/2016 21:31

Advertisement

Scroll to top