Clear all

EBC Replacement Brake Disc

2 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Richard W
(@wobbly)
Topic starter

EBC makes a wonderful replacement disc for front and rear Airhead disc brakes. Just wondering if anyone knows of US sources that are under $200 each ? Amazon listed one side, but not both. I see them in England and Italy for $30 to $40 less than average USA prices.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 05/23/2020 20:24
Richard W
(@wobbly)
Topic starter

To close this out, the follow-up is that in the end I had to "bite the proverbial bullet" and shell out $400US to buy 2 new brake rotors.

Here's the lesson to be gained... The OEM rotors were warped, which is a common issue. They were completely unusable because they made the front end shutter under heavy braking loads. (Yes, a master machinist had tried to true the rotors.) The likely cause of this condition was failing OEM brake hoses. The top hose was clogged, and probably holding back enough fluid to effectively hold both calipers closed, which over-heated the discs simply driving down any straight, flat road.

On my particular R100 I had to implement both the new hoses (the root issue) and the 2 new discs (the symptom), coming to a total of over $500.

My friends, you can check and replace your OEM brake hoses now, or pay the full price later on. Also see...
https://www.airheads.org/forum/parts-is-parts/1103-brake-hose-failure-causes-cures

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 06/14/2020 12:19

Advertisement

Scroll to top