I'm Looking For A Universal Tinted Windshield

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Michael McNight
(@blue-1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I have a 1980 R100T motorcycle with the external voltmeter, clock, and about 2" handlebar risers(see attached photos).
These are all challenges for finding a universal windshield that will fit.

Just wondering if anyone is aware of one that they know for a fact will work around my external gauges and handlebar risers?
Any photos would be greatly appreciated.

PS: It doesn't have to be a tall windshield, a short, sporty mini would be just fine. I'm just looking for something with a little air deflection and to cover-up the back of my gauges.

I suspect it will have to attach to the handlebars since there's no fork down tube to attach to, and you can't use the headlight mounting bolts.

Posted : 10/11/2019 11:23
Jason Nicks
(@jnicks01)
Trusted Member

I put a national cycle deflector shield on mine. Tinted with quick release hardware. Absolutely love it. Well made, looks great, and goes on and off easily. Once you initially get it set up. I also have their plexifaring 3 for the colder months. Not tinted, but covers your hands. goes right one with the same hardware. Worth a look.

Posted : 10/13/2019 21:12
Michael McNight
(@blue-1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hey, thanks for the reply,

Your windshield looks great, I like it, and your paint job.

It's hard to tell from your photo, but do you have the external clock-and-voltmeter behind your windshield? That's my main concern, finding a windshield that's wide enough for the external gauges.

Posted : 10/13/2019 21:26
Jason Nicks
(@jnicks01)
Trusted Member

Thanks for the complement! I do not have the volt meter or clock, but there is quite a bit more adjustment forward if needed. If you are truly interested, contact national cycle. They could give you some fitment assistance. I found them very helpful when I had a question for my plexifairing. My issue was that I have the low bar set up, so I am somewhat more limited due to there being less bar space for the mounting. You MAY have a little more freedom with fitment. Not sure if you can zoom in but it looks like the hardware would clear the volt/clock. Just my guess.

Posted : 10/13/2019 22:45
Michael McNight
(@blue-1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks again jnicks01,

I just ordered a Deflector Shield off Amazon. We'll see how it goes.
Amazon has a good return policy if it doesn't fit.

Posted : 10/14/2019 07:22
David Barnett
(@viejo)
Eminent Member

Very nice looking installation..... great paint as well.

One caveat- be very cautious in crosswind situations with a handlebar mounted windshield.

Posted : 10/15/2019 23:49
Michael McNight
(@blue-1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I received my Deflector Shield today from Amazon. Only took (2) days!

Installation was easy. Aligning both sides to be the same length took some time.
They are actually the same. Getting the camera perfectly straight-on so the
perspective is correct was difficult.

Bottom-line, the windshield looks and fits amazing! Good call jnicks01!

I was worried about the mounting struts cutting in front of the gauges, blocking
their view. But the installation adjustments are so ingenious and flexible it was
very easy to keep the struts away from the gauges.

Also, this windshield only mounts at two points. But the mounting is rock solid,
very stable.

Overall, I'm very happy with this windshield.

Posted : 10/17/2019 06:06
Jason Nicks
(@jnicks01)
Trusted Member

Fit perfectly!!! Almost like the hardware was supposed to go between. Glad you like it. I love the way it takes the air off your chest yet still leaves you in the wind. Hope you continue to love it as I do mine.

Posted : 10/17/2019 20:14

Advertisement

Scroll to top