Clear all

Valve Cover Opinions Wanted

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
George Koch
(@2752)
Topic starter

I've recently acquired a very nice (not show quality, but very presentable) 1982 R100 (naked, with saddlebags; guess this is a "T"). It is black with white pinstripes, done years ago by Kent Holt. However, the PO installed hideous (to me) CC Products valve covers, which I cannot stand. Looking at current new offerings, I see that the rectangular (correct OEM type) BMW covers now come unpainted. I'm not interested in painting them; my efforts would result in a less-than-professional appearance.

I note that reproduction old-style (say, /6) rounded covers are available in either plain (unpainted) or satin black with polished edges. I'm inclined to go with the old-style covers.

Just seeking opinions as to what would look best on a black later-model (81-84) twin-shock airhead.

Posted : 10/15/2019 12:40
Michael McNight
(@blue-1)
Trusted Member

I currently have a set of painted rectangular covers on my bike. They're old, a little beat-up, and in need of replacement. I have a set of new already factory painted rectangular ones, as well as a set of the painted old style, which I really like.

But recently I saw a set of old-style covers polished to look like chrome. They look amazing and would match the polished tops on my Bing carbs. So I'm with you, caught in a quandary not knowing which to install. Lots of choices.

It's a moot point for now since I'm getting my heads rebuilt soon, they'll come back blasted and lookin' like new, then I'll have to decide since I won't want to put the old covers on the freshly rebuilt heads.

Posted : 10/17/2019 07:10
George Koch
(@2752)
Topic starter

No question the chromed covers would look sharp, but I don't really want to draw attention to the jugs or to have the bike look "modified". The PO had also added some very loud Hella horns with red outer shell. I replaced them with some equally loud Hellas that were black and unobtrusive.

The jugs and heads look the way 37-year-old pieces with (only) 42K miles look; I'm thinking that unpainted old-style covers will go fairly well with that. I don't think that the old-style covers ever came from the factory with satin black paint. Don't want the bike to look "customized", just "dignified". After all, it's a "gentleman's bike", isn't it?

Posted : 10/17/2019 07:27
Michael McNight
(@blue-1)
Trusted Member

I have just the opposite opinion. I like the idea of freshening-up my 40-year-old 1980 bike. Although, the red horns are a bit much, even for me.

I put polished Bing tops on my carbs that look so much better than the dull flat OEM tops that never clean-up nice. And added clear turn signal lenses with mirrored/amber bulbs. A no egg-yoke look. Some nice modern suttle touches.

The polished valve covers would also go a long way in freshening-up the old girl.

I don't want to go crazy, but a few touch-ups do look fresh, modern & nice.

PS: "Gentlemen" don't have to be borning.

Posted : 10/17/2019 07:50
George Koch
(@2752)
Topic starter

Couple of hours ago I ordered the plain /6-type covers. I thought they looked just fine on my former 1976 R75/6, and they'll look nice on this R100.

And thanks for the instructions on painting the later covers, in case I get that urge . . .

Posted : 10/17/2019 12:31

Advertisement

Scroll to top