Luggage Rack rating?

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Edward Jones
(@14979)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

My 1981 R100RT has a slick little luggage rack/back-rest that attaches via 4 small bolts to the seat cowl. I need to carry about 25lbs and by taking off the back rest pad I can very securely attach to the rack. But it doesn't seem sturdy enough to carry that weight and survive my 1/8 mile long driveway where a GS is more at home.
So just for reference does anyone know what the rated load on these racks were originally?
Thanks
Edward

Posted : 05/24/2017 18:05
Jim Wilson
(@1559)
Estimable Member

get a new rack

get rid of the stock bmw rack that attaches to a seat cowl. IT WILL CRACK YOUR COWL

imho this rack is a very poor design

either by very little / or a LOT of weight
or
a little weight and constant road vibrations

imho

Posted : 05/25/2017 03:06
Edward Jones
(@14979)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hi Harry, yes just by examining that cowl attachment it was/is pretty obvious it's not designed to carry more than about one mini Coke can 🙂
My plan is to attach supports to the saddle bag brackets and center the load over the passenger seat area. But this will make the under seat area more difficult to get into. Ideally I would somehow mod to have that cool single seat setup the GS bikes have.Years ago I had an R1150GS with Jesse Bags and just loved that large flat area with plenty of attachment points. That was one versatile machine!
I was just curious what the BMW marketing people though that little rack would hold.

Posted : 05/26/2017 10:13
Jim Wilson
(@1559)
Estimable Member

i'm not close to home but

i will post some photos/ ideas to you [ need email ] as i have made many rack systems so you have a better understanding

if the rack is for touring [ you're an RT type ] then you may like it.
if you ride short trips then probably won't like mine.

Posted : 05/26/2017 20:45
Jim Wilson
(@1559)
Estimable Member

i will post some photos/ ideas to you [ need email ] as i have made many rack systems so you have a better understanding

Posted : 05/26/2017 20:46
Jim Wilson
(@1559)
Estimable Member

Posted : 05/26/2017 20:47
Jim Wilson
(@1559)
Estimable Member

Advertisement

Scroll to top