Clear all

New badges or not?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Mike Gragert
(@gragert)
Topic starter

Hey folks, I am new to this group and I have a serious issue that I am contemplating. I really want to poll the experts here. I have a 1982 R100RT that I have been bringing back to life. It was my wife's grandfathers and had been garaged and no ridden for well over 12 years. I have spent all winter reviving the beast from fluids to rubber to cosmetics. I am riding it almost daily now.

Sorry for the build up, here is my question: Do I remove and replace the factory badges on the sides of the tank or do I leave the slightly yellowed "vintage" logos in place? I bought the new ones and as I hold them up to the tank, I instantly rethought this idea of going new.

Am I overthinking this?

Posted : 09/22/2017 14:36
Paul aka Gus Davis
(@12452)

Use the new ones and certainly keep the originals. A beautiful job you've done!

Posted : 09/22/2017 15:34
Mike Gragert
(@gragert)
Topic starter

Thanks for the vote.

Posted : 09/22/2017 23:09
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I like the look that a little patina on the badge gives to the bike. So, hold off for awhile.

The BMW "roundels" are made of several material layers, any of which can give up with very little notice. The clear outer layer can turn so dark brown that you can't tell what the logo says. Shortly after that, the clear falls off taking most of the color with it... leaving you an aluminum disc. However, the foam tape adhesive can also give way, leaving behind a white, crusty circle.

I'd keep the new ones on hand and out of the sun for now. The bike looks great just as it is.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 09/23/2017 08:57
Mike Gragert
(@gragert)
Topic starter

Alright, I think that settles it. I'll just keep the new ones in the house in case I ever new them. Thanks for the help.

Posted : 09/23/2017 17:26

Advertisement

Scroll to top