Clear all

oil filter hard as a rock

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Ray Breuer
(@hooterhugger)
Topic starter

Just changed my oil on my R75/6 modified to an R100s/6. When i removed the oil filter it was sucked in and hard as a rock. The paper on the outside is gone. Any ideas ?

Posted : 08/19/2016 20:31
Ray Breuer
(@hooterhugger)
Topic starter

I bought the bike in 1982 and i have been doing the oil changes ever sense. The previous filter did the same thing( HYFLO) filter. Been using them for years,not K&N tho. I ordered a Beemer filter yesterday,with the hinge,we'll see what happens. No paper was visable in the oil.
I heard that this happened to another rider,but that was a k&n filter. I change the oil every couple of thousand miles (2000). Ya know,,oil is cheeper the parts.

Posted : 08/20/2016 14:38
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I believe the oil flow direction is from the outside toward the center of the filter. In this case, the missing paper in order not to show up in the exterior folds of the filter would have to have completely dissolved, which is highly unlikely.

If you are sure the filter originally came with a cover, then I'd be looking inside the oil filter cavity with some good lights to make sure it's not still inside the engine.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/21/2016 12:27
Ray Breuer
(@hooterhugger)
Topic starter

I did shine a lite into the cavity where the filter goes,clean. The only thing in there was the rubber seal that must of come off the old filter,which i removed. I thought i mite send it the filter back to the distributor. Thanx for all the input.

Posted : 08/21/2016 23:31

Advertisement

Scroll to top