Screw For Instrument Cluster

4 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Michael McNight
(@blue-1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I've been rebuilding my 1980 R100T bike for a few years now.  

Today I went to put the instrument cluster back on and noticed, I'm missing the screw that holds the electrical cable to the back of the cluster(see photo).

I checked the MaxBMW parts fiche and couldn't find the screw. or a photo  So I have no idea what I need.  Any ideas?

Posted : 06/21/2021 15:46
David Elkow
(@4949)
Reputable Member

If you go to Katdash.com, look under “Order Parts”, they have a set of screws for the instrument back cover and the rubber plug, with an appropriate washer for the plug. $5 I believe. 

https://katdash.com/order-parts/

Posted : 06/21/2021 19:00
Michael McNight
(@blue-1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Perfect, thank you so much!  I'm going to order the screw kit.

Posted : 06/21/2021 19:39
Richard W
(@wobbly)

► If you use the OEM type screw in that position, then you'll want to first lube it with silicone spray. To install, first turn it backwards (LH) until you feel the click, then proceed to install the screw (RH). If you simply start installing the screw, it will cut new threads. After several times of this all the threads will be gone in the plastic housing. 

The installation torque is Zero. Just run it down until it touches. The rubber of the connector will hold the screw in place.

► I have repaired gouged out housings by epoxying in a #4-40 brass insert used for vibratory insertion. Then used a #4-40 x 5/8 SST flat head screw. (I didn't want to go non-Metric but that was the brass insert I had at the time. I assume a 3mm insert would also work.)

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 06/22/2021 17:11

Advertisement

Scroll to top