transmission rebuild/1983 R100RS

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Lawrence Erkie
(@632)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

My bike is getting to the point where the miles are taking their toll. I need to plan on a transmission rebuild but find the cost daunting. I see Capital Cycle is offering a set of transmission bearing for about $120+/- but that doesn't include the expensive one, which a popular internet parts fiche lists for about the same amount. Is this expensive bearing available through any bearing house, to perhaps allow me to save a bit as compared to BMW prices? Any other suggestions for making a transmission rebuild less economically painful?

Posted : 06/11/2017 02:49
Bret Williams
(@bret)
Estimable Member

Hello 632. Welcome aboard. Worked in three different bike shops over 16 years as a technician and service dept. manager. They were franchise dealers for Honda, Suzuki, and Harley. Occasionally a bearing or two was not immediately available. Houston Bearing had anything we needed every time. You will need to know bearing dimensions.

I will also caution you to get more input than from me alone. There are other factors such as metallurgy that may be factors to finding an acceptable bearing. Personally I would avoid Chinese bearings like the plague. Horror stories were quite prevalent with them when I got out of the business in 2000. This may or may not be the case at this time. www.houstonbearing.com

It bears repeating that I do know a good source for bearings but please wait to get more input from those members who have more experience with bearings pertaining to your application.

Posted : 06/11/2017 03:50

Advertisement

Scroll to top