Valve noise, how much is good

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Mike Ice
(@15367)
Topic starter

Hello,

I am new to the airhead bikes. The 92 R100rt I have is being sorted out after years of neglect. I got the forks, calipers, push rod tube bushings, removed the carbon build up from the head and cylinder, adjusted the valves, cleaned and adjusted the carbs and a few other items as well.

Still can't ride it though because the front brake master cylinder leaks, parts are on order.

I did push it outside and started the motor and was amazed at the clatter from the valves. Friends who have Airheads tell me that the valves make noise, like angry typists they say.

Really? Can this be normal? How much noise is normal. The bike has 60,000 miles on the odometer.

Just wondering. If it is normal I will get used to it and ride it. Has anyone made an audio recording?

Thanks, Mike

Posted : 08/31/2016 16:26
Mike Ice
(@15367)
Topic starter

Well I hate to admit this but I adjusted the valves entirely wrong. I am still getting used to the metric system. Lycoming and Continental motors were all sae.

I looked in the manual and saw 0.10 and immediately went for the .010 feeler gage, made the same mistake with the exhaust valve. I have the valves set much too loose.

No wonder the motor makes so much noise and was hard to start.

Back of the line for me, Mike

Posted : 08/31/2016 20:37
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I looked in the manual and saw 0.10 and immediately went for the .010 feeler gauge, made the same mistake with the exhaust valve. I have the valves set much too loose.

Mike -
That's a great story! We can all laugh together, because we all have a story like that, So don't feel bad.

One tidbit Scott didn't dwell on is that the clatter is important. Airhead valves tend to tighten during use, so you always want to hear a little noise at idle. Not to worry though. Going down the road, because of the wind and other factors, the engine is dead silent.

B)

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/31/2016 22:54
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Guess Wobbly missed it? πŸ™‚

Yet another "Beginner Error". πŸ˜›

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 09/01/2016 09:11

Advertisement

Scroll to top