Windshield Question

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
10.1 K Views
Samuel Creasman
(@12545)
Topic starter

My wife has a '72 R75/5 Toaster Tank model (SWB) that we would like to mount a small windshield to take some of the pressure off her head and chest as she rides at speed. Have tried a small handle bar mounted screen, but wind pressure simply pushed the shield back into a laid down position. No amount of tightening the handle bar clamps would apply enough clamping force to prevent the shield from being blown back. Does anyone have any experience in something like this? Would an "S" type faring work? Probably look too funny, even if it would work. Something like a "fly screen" just slightly larger than the head light might work but not sure of mounting. Did see a windshield/fly screen that mounts to the fork tubes on Dennis Kirk's web site. Sounds like a good idea. But...
Any suggestions?
Sam Creasman
Member # 12545

Posted : 03/24/2018 22:43
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I'd suggest you look at the Givi line of windscreens. Givi products are well made and generally a cut above the normal me-too type motorcycle accessories. The designs show a lot of style that your wife would probably appreciate. Something like the Givi Universal might suit her just fine.

https://www.revzilla.com/givi-windscreens

I wonder if you're mounting the screen too high. The top of the screen should be no higher than the rider's chin, and in lots of cases much lower. (The wonderful S and RS screens terminate at heart level.) The rider looks over the screen, not through. That's all it takes to remove the buffeting from the chest area, which is what tires the rider. If her head is being tossed around by turbulence, then lower the screen. Even with the screen that low, she'll stay dry. If the screen gets too high, then she'll roast this summer. Givi products will come with much better instructions than I could ever give you here !

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 03/24/2018 23:34
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

I have a "Memphis Shades, Hellcat" windshield for my R75/5. It is a gradient blue which jives with the original Monza blue of the bike, but they can be had in an array of colors. The mounts are very robust and hold it right where I want it. I swap it out with a paint matched Wixom Ranger handle bar fairing that is modified to use the Memphis mounts.

If you are experiencing rotation of the bar in the clamps from wind pressure, you might want to consider making shims for the risers to pinch the handlebar a little tighter.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 04/07/2018 13:56
Samuel Creasman
(@12545)
Topic starter

Thanks for the suggestion James. I will try the Memphis Shades, Hellcat model.
Sam

Posted : 04/07/2018 20:43
Chris Dazet
(@15087)
Eminent Member

I have a similar Memphis Shades model with handlebar mount, the bar clamps would hold up to about 60mph but even with shims it would rotate in. A heavy black zip tie on each rod [between clamp and screen] down around the triple tree cured that issue.

Posted : 05/13/2018 19:49
Bret Williams
(@bret)
Estimable Member

This sounds like something you might want to pursue.

https://austin.craigslist.org/mpo/d/pichler-fairing-for-bmw-or/6604724351.html

Posted : 06/11/2018 02:18
Samuel Creasman
(@12545)
Topic starter

Wow! This looks pretty cool. Reminds me of the Vetter Quicksilver fairing I mounted on my 1st BMW - a '79 R65.

I saw a Givi small windshield mounted on a (new) Ural sidecar model called the Sahara from the factory. Looks like a perfect fit. I think I will look at this option first.

Thanks to everyone for your ideas.
Sam

Posted : 06/11/2018 08:06
Jason Nicks
(@jnicks01)
Trusted Member

I just tossed on a National Cycles Deflector on mine a few days ago. Love it. Looks great on my /7. Slightly tinted, not too intrusive and takes every bit of wind off my chest. Very stable too. Didn't budge doing anywhere between 60 to 80 MPH for over 6 hours. For under $120, I can't complain. Mounted in about 20 minutes.

Posted : 06/11/2018 11:34

Advertisement

Scroll to top