Clear all

National Rally July 2016

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Shawn Crady
(@6651)
Topic starter

Wife and I are planning our route out to the East Coast from SoCal via the Trans Canadian Highway for adventure and hopes of taking in the BMWMOA National Rally while we're there. We hope to experience as much of the right coast as we can in the time we will have. We will have little blocks of time before and after the rally. Can anyone offer advice or suggestions on "must see and do" - New York? We are also seeking local knowledge of the Manhattan area. We plan to rent a room or apartment the weekend before Das Rally and do public transportation and or hoof around as many of the sights as we can on that weekend. Can anyone out there suggest an area we should look at for lodging and safe parking for the machine while we are there?

Posted : 04/28/2016 15:13
Dave Rankine
(@354)

When I last was in New York . I saved big bucks by moteling it in New Jersey and taking the ferry to into the city each day. The security at the ferry lot was good so I did not worry about parking the bike there. I can't recall where I stayed it was like a super8 and priced that way. I cant recall if I was in Hoboken or Jersey City. The ferry crosses about every 15 mins. It docks near a subway station. Maybe do a searchh for the ferry to Wall street. I don't know what your interested in. NY has some of the best museums in the world. The Met. has an Egyptian temple and a Frank LLoyd Wright house installed inside it. Dave

Posted : 05/01/2016 21:26
Anthony Lonigro
(@14652)
Eminent Member

There's a ferry (passengers only, no bikes allowed) that connects manhattan with Staten Island. That's another option. The subway station is Whitehall, which is way downtown, in the financial district of manhattan.

The PATH train connects manhattan and Jersey City. That train will get you into midtown.

Either are good options.

That said, NYC is many hours away from the rally site, closer to the east coast.

Antny

Posted : 05/02/2016 18:38
Billy Mearns
(@5059)

As before stated, coming from the west, NYC will be another 6-8 hrs past the rally site, as long as the last hours does not take you 3-4 due to traffic. I wonder if you would be better served thinking about spending time in Toronto. It is a nice city (as cities go) and I believe the exchange rate is good at this time. Western NY and Pa are lovely to ride.

Posted : 05/11/2016 09:10
Shawn Crady
(@6651)
Topic starter

Thanks again everyone. The wife and I are country folk at heart and expect the big city leg of this visit to be a little daunting. Setting up a base in the burb and commuting in sounds like the best idea. Its just that you loose exploration time commuting. There seems to be a number of reasonably price places to stay right in the city but parking looks questionable. :unsure:

Posted : 05/12/2016 13:34
Dave Fahringer
(@13690)

Is there any intent to have a "State of the Club" meeting at airhead central like the one held last year in Montana? (Hopefully minus the drama. πŸ™‚ ) I found it very constructive/informative.

Have a good one,
Dave

Posted : 06/08/2016 07:54

Advertisement

Scroll to top