Clear all

any suggestiions for October color tour VT & NH

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Gregory Fitzpatrick
(@5069)
Topic starter

I will be renting a motorcycle this October from Moto Vermont for a color tour of Vermont and New Hampshire. My plan is to tour the week before I go to a high School re-union on Long Island. I moved from the East in the Early seventies so I am no longer familiar with the "blue highways" of New England. I plan on taking the Orient Point ferry to Long Island both coming and going. So I will have 4 days to tour and camp, any suggestions Thank You GregF

Posted : 07/09/2016 11:11
Billy Mearns
(@5059)

I love riding in Vermont. Hopefully in October there will not be much snow. From New London go north as quick and easy as possible (11-2-91) Northwest Mass starts to get nice (8a-116-112-2) or anything smaller you might find yourself on. In Vermont the roads that go over the mountains between Rt100 and Rt7 (east/west) can be fun but not all are in good shape. I would check out the BMW Motorcycle Owners of Vermont Face Book page and try and strike up a conversation with someone. They are a great group.

Posted : 07/31/2016 17:11
Vince Chase
(@1995r100r)

Having lived in Northern NH, peak color is usually right around Columbus Day for the White Mountains. The slopes west of Mount Washington lose color before the east slopes. You can't go wrong taking the Kancamagus Highway, a 29 mile twisty stretch with great views which starts in Lincoln and ends in Conway. Instead of taking the entire length of the Kanc (and getting into tourist traffic in the Conway / North Conway area), you can jump onto Bear Notch Road, which take you to US 302. Heading east on US 302 will junction with NH 16. Taking NH 16 North into Gorham brings you by the base of Mt. Washington through Pinkham Notch. Heading west on US 2 in Gorham, pick up NH 115 South which takes you to US 3 South to US 302 again. Taking US 302 east brings you to the west face of Mt. Washington. There's a pretty good eatery called Fabyan's at that point for lunch. It is also a train station for the tourist train out of North Conway. Continuing on US 302 east takes you through Crawford Notch and back to NH 16. You've now circled Mt Washington.

If you head east out of Lincoln on NH 112, you can get to US 302 North to pick up NH 117, which takes you over Sugar Hill towards Franconia Notch. Route 116 north off of Route 112 is also a great ride.

Those are the major scenic routes around Mt. Washington area. But there's no shortage of good routes throughout NH. For example, if you cross into NH from Bellows Falls, VT, Route 12A North off of Route 12 North from there is a wonderful ride along the Connecticut River to Lebanon.

Posted : 08/09/2016 14:22
Chris Dazet
(@15087)
Eminent Member

Agree The 'Kanc' is the balls, any turnout reaps memories and after moving thru Conway head east to Maine then south NH-ME Rt 153 S. one of the best rated MC twisty and scenery roads in NE. Should put a smile on any Airheads face.

Posted : 09/05/2016 22:37

Advertisement

Scroll to top