Clear all

Day ride

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Clayton Johnson
(@14968)
Topic starter

Ever since I acquired this time machine late last fall I have been waiting for the opportunity to take it on my favorite day ride. After sorting out a few mechanical issues; repairing some wiring and getting a better seat, plus appropriate weather, the time finally arrived.

I departed my home in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho heading east on I-90 for St Regis, Montana. Then north on MT-135 to MT-200. Stop in Thompson Falls, MT for lunch then over Thompson Pass on MT-471 and back into Idaho and the Coeur d'Alene river road back to I-90, then home. Attached is a pix of the bike parked at the top of Thompson Pass on the border between Montana and Washington.

What a rush! The 1972 R75/5 SWB handled the interstate speeds well and was a real pleasure when the road became twisty. It was like stepping into a time machine and going back to my first BMW (1972 R60/5) purchased in the Spring of 1974 while a student at the University of Arizona. It takes me back to a time before mortgages, loss of family and friends, cancer and 70 hour work weeks. It put a smile on my face remembering my first "long" ride from Tucson to Flagstaff. I was innocent and naive then and still new to motorcycling with only 6 years of riding experience under my butt.

This R75 is a joy to ride. It does not compare to my Harley Road King and it's not supposed to! The RK does everything better and is much simpler to maintain, but the BMW takes me back to those first days when everything was less complicated.

Times and mounts change but the pleasure of being on two wheels still puts a smile on my 64 year old face. I have nearly always ridden alone preferring solo as opposed to riding with a group. BMW's, Moto Guzzi's and Harley's have been a big part of my riding experience and nothing beats the pleasure I derive from being on two wheels for the last 48 years.

I hope all of you have opportunity this summer to get out and ride just for the sheer pleasure derived from the experience.

If any of you find your way up into the panhandle of Idaho I would be happy to meet you!

Posted : 06/29/2016 14:34
Steve Wike
(@steevo)
Trusted Member

That is a beautiful R75, and that sounds like a great shakedown ride for her.
I love the CDA area, but don't gut up that way often enough.

Posted : 06/29/2016 23:08
Richard W
(@wobbly)

This R75 is a joy to ride. It does not compare to my Harley Road King and it's not supposed to! The RK does everything better...

Well, maybe everything except the caliber of people you get to meet. πŸ˜†

Congrats on the great looking /5 !!

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 06/30/2016 09:53

Advertisement

Scroll to top