Clear all

How to ride as a group-rules, etc

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Hal Smith
(@10795)
Topic starter

On a recent ride there was a lot of friction about riding rules & should 'leaders' make risky passing decisions and expect followers to FOLLOW. Should there be prearranged spots to link up if separated, should everyone have a detailed map/itinerary. In this instance leaders out paced others and there were no interbike comm devices so slower riders were forced to decide between losing leaders and riding at uncomfortable pace and passing in sketchy situations. Are there any generally accepted guidelines for group riding of3-8 people???

Posted : 07/03/2019 12:21
Richard W
(@wobbly)

It sounds like, as far as riding style and skill, you had a mis-matched group. This can easily happen when your group gets larger than 4 riders. Personally, I won't ride with groups larger than 5 unless I know everyone.

► The safest way to pass in a mixed skills group is for the leader to pass the offending vehicle, then slow down immediately in front of said vehicle (about 20 mph off the previous speed), which slows the offending vehicle, thereby making it VERY easy for the other riders to over-take the offending vehicle and the leader. The leader can then work his way back to the front of the motorcycle group over the next several miles.

If a leader's ego won't allow that maneuver, then he's not on a "group ride" at all, but rather out for a "race", and you don't want to be riding anywhere near that person.

► However, the best "rule" is to NOT make a turn without the last man waiting at the turn. This requires every rider to know how many riders are behind them at all times.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/04/2019 09:32
Hal Smith
(@10795)
Topic starter

Thanks, Wobbly, I concur. Sometimes it's complicated with other things as I'm sure you know.. I've always felt that everyone on the ride should have access to the full itinerary and that rendezvous points should be designated in the event of separation. In our case, it might just be better to split up and meet at points along the way. Those who have an "attack the road/curve" attitude vs those who want to relax and enjoy the scenery and avoid drama& stress. I don't suppose you know of any published guidelines I could offer as a reference in the upcoming debate?

Posted : 07/04/2019 09:52
Richard W
(@wobbly)

On a Club ride it's easy enough to post a PDF file on the web site with directions, phone numbers, meet-up places listed. Then the people who want a map can download and print it themselves, or at least review it at home.

On a small or impromptu ride, then the leader should maybe type some information up and print copies on his/her home computer. Usually 5 or 6 sentences will get it done, then it's easy to duplicate it several times on a single page so that just a few copies makes a dozen or more ride sheets.

If the ride is over 10 people, then it's always best to have 2 groups; a "fast" and a "slow" group. I've been riding an annual Brit Bike ride in NC every spring and that's what they do. Funny thing is no matter how fast the "fast group" goes, or slow the "slow group" goes, they are never more than 5 minutes apart.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/05/2019 13:33

Advertisement

Scroll to top