1976 R90 S, Carb rebuild questions

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Michael Whitby
(@mikethebike)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I've just stripped, cleaned, added new parts and seals etc on the Dellortos.
But I have a few questions.
There are two pieces in the Dellorto seal kit that I cant find a place for;
1. There is a small copper washer in the kit, it doesn't seem to fit anywhere?
2. There is a tiny greenish o ring, again I cant find it in the parts break drawing, or description in the manual. Nor did one come out of any orifices during strip, Any suggestions?
3. There was a partial diaphragm for the accelerator pump. Does this get installed? and if so which side of the diaphragm?

Also while I'm at it, I cant find anything that gives an idea where to set the air screw. but just about every carb bike I've got recommends 1.5 turns out,. Is this right for the Dellorto's.

Thanks in advance
Michael

Posted : 03/03/2020 16:27
Michael Whitby
(@mikethebike)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hard to believe I've stumped the masters! or was it just a stupid question LOL.
M

Posted : 03/17/2020 23:15
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I've never worked on a Dellorto carb.

However, I will say that often times it's easier for a company to put extra parts in a single repair kit to service ALL the various product generations, rather than make, stock and distribute (say for instance) repair kits for 3 different carb designs that vary by only 1 or 2 gaskets. Especially if only a very limited number of a single generation was ever manufactured. So there may not be an answer to your question, except from Dellorto.

That's the "fun" of working on classic bikes. There is always an answer. But you must also allow that the guy with the answer may be dead. πŸ˜›

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 03/18/2020 08:17
Michael Whitby
(@mikethebike)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I arrived at the same conclusion, but wanted to be sure. I got the Dellorto kit from Bevel Heads. Its the same carb on the '79 900SS. There's probably one circuit or needle that needs that tiny seal.
Thanks again, I can now get a good nights sleep LOL
M

Posted : 03/18/2020 12:46
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I can now get a good nights sleep. LOL
M

Not so fast !

You are now the living Dellorto expert. πŸ‘Ώ

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 03/18/2020 13:03
Steve Ross
(@smross)

I just joined the Airheads so I'm a little late to answer your question but hopefully I can still be of some help.
Yes, there are extra parts in the rebuild kit, including the little green O-ring. Not sure which copper washer you're referring to as there are several on the Dell'Orto.
The accelerator pump diaphram gasket fits between the diaphram and the carb. body.
1.5 turns out on the air screw is fine. It's just an arbitrary starting point anyway.

Posted : 08/09/2020 00:43

Advertisement

Scroll to top