1983 R100RS fork upgrade?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Lawrence Erkie
(@632)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Can one transplant the forks and yoke from the early K100/K1100 and K75s to the 1983 R100 models? I imagine these would be an improvement both from the handling aspect and braking power as well, if the forks have the provision for the two-piston brake calipers from some of the K-series bikes. Has anyone actually done this swap?

Posted : 02/19/2018 17:16
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I have a pal that put a K-bike front end on his standard R65. I don't know the exact model K-bike, but he loves it. The best part about it was it was a direct swap. The swap even used the same head post bearings.

A 1983 R100RS should already have Brembo calipers, which are double piston. So I don't think you'll see big changes in the braking. The way to accomplish that is with replacement "stainless steel" flexible brake hoses and EBC floating discs.

The handling will be quicker becasue the front axle is brought in-line with the stanchion tubes. This was done on all the single-sided Airheads not too many years later. Additionally, those model Airheads went to an 18 inch front wheel at the same time.

Just a note so you know what you're getting into. I own two R100's, a 1979 and a 1988 single-sided. The difference is like night and day, or like owning a Harley and Ducati. When the older R100 gets laid over, it will stay there until you input some counter-steering to set it back up. It's very neutral and very happy to be at any any angle you set it to. The newer R100 snaps over, but requires continuous steering. This enables you to change your line through a corner, but the bike wants constant input. It's like it never relaxes; it's "twitchy". That means I can never fully relax either. I love the newer bike, but I can't go on rides longer than 150 miles or I return happy, but worn out. I use the older bike for all my distance riding.

I think this comes under the heading "be careful what you wish for".

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 02/19/2018 23:08
Lawrence Erkie
(@632)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I see I've misspoke when I described the brake calipers on my 1983 R100RS. If they are two-piston calipers, then the K-bikes had four-piston calipers fairly soon in the production cycle. My 1985 K100RS had the same calipers as my airhead, but the later ones did not.
As for the available upgrades you mention Wobbley, I've done them some years ago. In fact, the EBC rotors have developed an old and unwelcome symptom of warping: a pulsing sensation at the lever when stopping. Frankly, I was surprised at that development. I never expected that from rotors with those bobbins. I thought that style was immune from warping under the conditions that I ride. Maybe next I'll try the Speigler rotors if I can save enough aluminum cans... lol!

Posted : 02/21/2018 03:57
Jim Wilson
(@1559)
Estimable Member

....... 1974 R90SRS fork and front brake upgrade to a type IV fork and 4 pot brembos

Posted : 10/20/2018 22:10
Lawrence Erkie
(@632)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

[hide][/hide]Now those are brakes! Did you personally make the adapters for those calipers?

Posted : 11/03/2018 01:23

Advertisement

Scroll to top