Clear all

/7 spring return side stand

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
THOMAS TALLICK
(@17095)
Topic starter

Has anyone modified a side stand to eliminate the cursed automatic return ?
Does anyone know of a mfg. that makes a side stand that stays in place when it is lowered ?

Posted : 03/28/2020 15:40
Richard W
(@wobbly)

In my area of the country most everyone fitted an accessory side stand made by (or which went by the name) "Brown". These units bolt onto the bike using the 2 large fasteners just under the LH rider's foot peg, so it's a handy retro-fit.

The one in the photo is chrome, but all that I've seen have had some basic type of sliver plating or paint. You'll see these on Ebay, and there's one on there right now.

As I get older and more forgetful, I've come to actually appreciate the self-retracting stand. In principal, all that's needed to defeat the action is move the point of spring attachment relative to the hinge point. This is probably easier said than done... leading to the sale of many Brown stands.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 03/29/2020 10:40
Dave Gilmore
(@beemertrash)

Loosen the front nut on the engine mount, retract the stand, the pivot the spring mounts to will move when you retract the stand. Tighten the nut and the stand will no longer retract by itself. You can loosen the nut with the stand up if you want to convert it back. Easy peasy.

Posted : 03/29/2020 18:54
Dave Gilmore
(@beemertrash)

I meant loosen the nut not the night on the last sentence.

Posted : 03/29/2020 19:17

Advertisement

Scroll to top