Clear all

'71 R60/5: Gearbox doesn't shift

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Stephen Hyde
(@sebascodegan)
Topic starter

As mentioned in another thread, I've a 1971 60/5 (75/5 heads/carbs) that's been sitting for 20 years and maybe started and briefly ridden a few times during that period. I had noted that at those times, when attempting to put in 1st, then neutral, it stayed stuck in gear. Each time, I pushed the bike and popped the clutch and the shifting problem seemed to resolve. I assumed it was a stuck clutch (moisture causing something to rust/stick). The bike still has the 60/5 4-speed gearbox.

When I tried the same this time, it does not seem to get in gear at all. I can hand turn the spline with no real resistance (gear box is detached from motor) and no movement at the output flange. I attempted to shift while hand turning the spline with no effect. The kickstart engages, and when the gearbox was on the bike, was effective in starting the bike. The oil in the gearbox did not seem cafe au lait, but when I set the boot part of the gearbox in a pan, clear water was atop the oil that drained. I emptied what oil was in the case, refilled with 90w, then rotated the gearbox to ensure all parts immersed.

I'm assuming a gearbox rebuild is in order, but thought I'd put this background out there in case there's something that's known to get gummed up and could keep the box in a neutral (?) state.

Thanks,
Steve (aka Sebascodegan)

Posted : 08/12/2020 23:05
john stirling
(@arni)
Trusted Member

Broken shifter pawl spring? Needs to go to a shop. Not cheap but repair will last a VERY long time. You save $$ having the tranny already out. Put it in a milk crate and don't break the clutch cable eye or other bits sticking out.

Where are you? may be able to recommend someone kinda close.

Posted : 08/13/2020 01:01
Stephen Hyde
(@sebascodegan)
Topic starter

Arni, I’m in Harpswell, Maine, just north of Freeport.

Posted : 08/13/2020 07:27
john stirling
(@arni)
Trusted Member

Ah, I know Harpswell. I grew up in Brunswick at one time.

If you want to ship to Colorado Matt Parkhouse would be your man. If you wanted to stay closer to home I would give Matt a call and see who he recommends. ABC has a list of "friendly" shops but I know some in my area are incompetent. To find Matt look in the CO section of "airhead friendly shops" for After Hours BMW.

Or email me at Plakakahn@hotmail.com

Posted : 08/13/2020 14:25

Advertisement

Scroll to top