'71 R75/5: Removing and Installing Carbs

77 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
Scott Ambler
(@scott-ambler)
Eminent Member

Hey Greg,
I suggest you call Boxer2Valve and talk to William (The guy in the videos) he knows this stuff inside and out and will talk you through it over the phone. They also stock all the different types of parts. It just doesn’t need to be this difficult.
Scott

Posted : 04/25/2020 00:51
Gregory Popovich
(@gpopovichcastlerockwinery-com)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Original carbs two feet away from my bike now and I'll never get rid of them-- and I'd almost rather have it run badly -but try and get it set up properly -with old carbs. You know I'm not one of these grass is always greener guys and I regret not sticking it out with the originals. Bunch of BS from Bing "Drop In replacements " Yeah right.

Posted : 04/25/2020 01:07
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks, I love his videos - one of the few guys these days who doesn't seem like a con-man.

Posted : 04/25/2020 01:08
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member
Topic starter

From Bing:

The throttle cable will be the same.

On the choke cable you will need to put a Ferrell on the end of the choke cable to fit into the double levers on the choke assembly. You could buy a new modern cable from a BMW dealer.

You will need to use a synchronizer to balance the carbs. Otherwise, they are setup stock and should start right up. [/quote]

Posted : 04/25/2020 01:34
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

Did you just call me a "loser"?

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 04/25/2020 08:55
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Are you serious? Why would I say that about you? You seem like a very smart - hell of a nice guy. It was a reference to people that always need the newest and best of things. Like people that buy the new retro 2020 R75 they have out instead of fixing up and loving our old bikes. It was really a reference to me for buying the newest carbs available instead of sticking it out with the originals.

Posted : 04/25/2020 11:53
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I'm going to do that and ask him to fix me up. Thanks.

[Mods: Who is "him" ??? This statement needs to include a quote so that readers know who you are referring to.]

Posted : 04/25/2020 14:39
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Don't know about you but this has all been a nice distraction for me? Rode my bike tonight runs like a swiss watch .

Posted : 04/26/2020 00:38
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member
Topic starter

https://www.edbrown.com/

If any of you like really nice handguns check this out =I just got the Ed Brown Cobra Carry 45 ACP - it's the most beautiful gun I've ever seen (like our BMW's) haven't shot yet - I used to be a reserve cop carried a sig p 220. Still have it great gun,

Posted : 04/26/2020 00:52
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Please keep your comments pertinent to the Club's focus on Airheads. Thank you.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 04/26/2020 11:46
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member
Topic starter

"Hey Greg,
I suggest you call Boxer2Valve and talk to William (The guy in the videos) he knows this stuff inside and out and will talk you through it over the phone. They also stock all the different types of parts. It just doesn’t need to be this difficult.
Scott "

Posted : 04/26/2020 13:30
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

O.K., I think I have an answer to this dilemma. I just pulled left the carburetor off of my R80RT. It is numbered 64/32/357. Then I fished a set of 64/32/3 and 4 out of a box. The enricher arm that holds your old mono-filament choke cable from the 3 &4 will fit on the 357 enricher shaft. Likewise, the choke cable guide for the 357 equipped R80RT will fit in the 3&4 cable ears. That means that the diameter and thread pitch are the same for both. I think that if you fit the early enricher lever on the new carburetors, you could use the original mono-filament choke cable and airbox mounted lever. The little hardware bits that pinch the mono cable at the carb would have to be employed.

In summation, all you need to do is use the enricher arms from the inboard sides of the old carburetors on the new ones and install the choke hardware as it came on the bike originally.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 04/26/2020 14:31
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Talk about going beyond the call of duty!! - I really appreciate you taking the time to check out this swap. That's exciting news for me. I just pulled the original cables out and I'm going to order new (OLD) ones - the original owner never used the choke and the cables are kinked frayed and don't move freely. My airbox lever assembly was missing the ball bearing and the washer is bent-up but it still seems to work ok. Can't wait to take the carbs off AGAIN. (I'm getting better).

Thanks again.
Greg

Posted : 04/26/2020 16:42
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

Washer bent up?,... the washer inside the choke lever on the airbox is called a "wave washer". It is made of spring steel and as such, also serves as a a spring to to help the ball detent hold the lever where you set it. You will find these in many places on an Airhead. Be mindful of how you assemble the part. As far as pulling the carburetor to confirm the fitments, it's no big deal. I am going to re-build the carbs from the R80RT anyway. That's the next operation for me in the process of making that bike reliable and functional. 2 years in, and you wouldn't believe all the wrong I have found on this bike courtesy of previous owners.

Best of luck...

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 04/26/2020 18:43
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Jeez no wonder the washer is bent. Question (another in a series) what did you do about the exterior spring loaded choke arm on the new carbs -- if I use my old arms which don't have this set-up?

Posted : 04/26/2020 19:07
Page 4 / 6

Advertisement

Scroll to top