'71 R75/5: Removing and Installing Carbs

77 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Gregory Popovich
(@gpopovichcastlerockwinery-com)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

You know what pisses me off = why doesn't Bing just install the old style arms on the new carbs if they know they're going on an older model??????

Posted : 04/26/2020 19:30
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

You will not need the return spring if you successfully assemble the the original /5 choke cables on your new carburetors. BTW, you did yourself a favor getting those carbs. Anyway, as I described earlier, the /5 type choke cables are push/pull cables. you don't really need the springs. Keep those return springs, they cost about $2.50 each to buy them from a supplier. Once you get this all worked out, you will have good parts to pass along to the next guy.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 04/26/2020 20:29
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Okay thanks - I'm going in now - will use old cables for now & replace later ....more to come.

Posted : 04/26/2020 20:35
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I just got back from a ride and my God these new carbs make a huge difference! I can actually focus on enjoying how well my SWB R/75 handles, etc. instead of constantly trying to keep it from stalling. If anyone out there is on the fence with this same issues I had with the original 3's & 4's -- the newer 357 & 358's are a huge improvement. I think they actually look better too- they're brushed finish instead of polished and blend in perfect with the other components.

Posted : 05/02/2020 22:02
Scott Ambler
(@scott-ambler)
Eminent Member

This is the part where you post a photo, my friend

Posted : 05/02/2020 22:27
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Walk me thru the process of posting a photo and I'll be glad to - I'm a very low technology dude.

Posted : 05/02/2020 22:42
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I had my wife help me load photo's but I can't open them....can you?

Posted : 05/02/2020 23:03
Scott Ambler
(@scott-ambler)
Eminent Member

They look good! Nice looking bike. Glad the new carbs are working for you!

Posted : 05/03/2020 00:15
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I've probably had 10 Bmw's mostly GS's and my last was a R1200RT - BUT I've never had one that I loved more than my new R75/5.

Posted : 05/03/2020 01:32
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Sorry I got off track on the tire post - I'm new to this board and- I'm on zero social media (I'm actually a successful business man and try and stay under the radar) - I believe in efficiency and was trying to consolidate my questions/comments. To make me look like an idiot was not considerate or appreciated - you should have personally messaged me and told me the rules = I'm out of here. Thanks to all of you for your support on my carb project - stay safe.

Posted : 05/04/2020 00:14
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Your questions are appreciated. Copy and paste your questions into THIS thread and they'll be answered.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 05/04/2020 19:29
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks, I appreciate that -- I should have counted to a thousand before I sent that last post.

Posted : 05/04/2020 20:27
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Strike up the band! As of 6pm PDT I have fully functioning chokes. Only took this slow learner 3 weeks. Thanks for your help you were right about everything except my carbs were evidently pre Jan 1971 so I had those nylon inner cables - so I had to get the newer hard wire cables and some new adjuster arms with clamps to attach to carbs. Anyway - good to go now. Tomorrow I ride! (oh yeah it's mother's day so maybe not:)

Posted : 05/09/2020 22:39
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Your suggestions paid-off - William got me all the right parts and was a great help - he's a very nice man & obviously extremely knowledgeable - his video saved my %$#.

Thanks - just got back from a short ride and my bike fires up in one sec with the new carbs and chokes working properly.

Posted : 05/12/2020 21:52
Page 5 / 6

Advertisement

Scroll to top