'72 R75/5: Upgrade to a 5 speed tranny

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
cliff chaplin
(@cliff)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I own a '72 r75/5. I bought a '75 5 speed tranny to retrofit my current machine. My only question at this point is. "How do I wire the 5 speed neutral switch vs the single wire needed on the 4 speed?" Any info will be appreciated. I won't be doing this project for a month or so............it is still darn cold here in N.Y. near Kennedy airport. Cliff

Posted : 02/09/2020 13:42
Richard W
(@wobbly)

A quick check of several wiring diagrams will show you that the second wire is simply a "Return" (what most people all "Ground"). You can run a new 18ga Brown wire yourself to any place where you can connect to other Brown wires. Places such as the headlamp shell or near the coils.

Starting about 1970, motor vehicle companies found that electricity flowed much more reliably through copper wire than through the corroded connections between the aluminum engine and steel frame. This was especially true for motorcycles, which generally experience a lot more water, and therefore are more apt to have issues.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 02/09/2020 15:06
cliff chaplin
(@cliff)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks so much. That sure makes it easy. I can't wait for some warmer weather here in the N.Y. area. I have some really fun projects to work on.
I rebuilt the heads and I have a new right hand handlebar wiring harness to replace the older one. fun fun fun
Gimme some sun and a coupla' hours and the road will once again be mine. Thanks so much for the info. Best to ya, Cliff

Posted : 02/20/2020 16:40

Advertisement

Scroll to top