'75 R90/6, Bing Carbs, inconsistent spark plug appearance

33 Posts
4 Users
3 Likes
Steven Rankin
(@14724)
Estimable Member

Good news Scott!  At this time,

I really doubt you will need a leak down tester.  The tool is nice to have for diagnosing valve and ring issues, but right now, you don't need to use it.   It is one of those tools that will sit in the tool box for a long time between use.  Unless you are working on other stuff.  Best if you need a test done to borrow one or pay the one time shot.   LOL, I don't have one in my box because I know a couple of places to borrow one from.  

After looking at you plug pictures it is clear you don't have an oil issue. The black soot should clear up with the needle in the correct spot.

Ride it and enjoy it.  St.

Beware! I do not suffer fools gladly! St.

Posted : 04/08/2024 05:24
David Elkow
(@4949)
Reputable Member

I’m presuming since you verified that the needles were in the correct position, that it was also verified that both needle jets are 2.68’s. Also important.

Posted : 04/09/2024 15:00
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @4949

I’m presuming since you verified that the needles were in the correct position, that it was also verified that both needle jets are 2.68’s. Also important. 

BMW was one of the first to start complying with early Federal DOT standards. This means the jetting tended to be on the lean side on all "US models". They could do this because the Airhead runs much cooler than other motorcycles, but still valve seats and overall performance suffered in the long run. 

David's advice is spot on. It is possible to find these bikes fitted with leaner 2.66 and 2.67 needle jets, but they should with 2.68's (listed as the "European model" jetting in many resources). This will cool the combustion down, give you back your acceleration, as well as give you a "ideal" plug color when you do your "plug chops" on the freeway.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 04/10/2024 05:13
Page 3 / 3

Advertisement

Scroll to top