Clear all

Battery for 92 R100GSPD

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Pat Restaino
(@bikerboy108)
Topic starter

Just got a 92 GS to add to the stable..went to start it and a bear to start and wore the battery down.. I may have been old gas or not a battery tender But here is the question... There was a Odyssey PC 680 on board ( 170 CCA and 16 AH) I looked at the chart and it says that the battery for the 92 100gs is the PC925L ( 330 CCA and 28 AH) But the size 6.6 x 7x 5 doesn't come close to fitting... Any advice or if needed Alternative ??? The pc680 seems way underspeced??

Thanks

Got one of these
http://www.motobatt.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=109&year=87-95&cc=1000&manufacturer_id=21&category_id=63&model_id=534

Posted : 03/16/2016 23:09
Lee Dickinson
(@3480)

Unless someone changed the battery box the 925 or its equivalent should fit. Having said that, many people successfully use the PC680 on a well-sorted airhead and consider the 925 to be overkill.

Unreconstructed Southerner living in occupied Georgia.

Posted : 03/18/2016 08:49
Richard W
(@wobbly)

It may have been old gas or not a battery tender.

Apologies for wandering from the main topic, but I will tell you 2 things...
► Ethanol fuel over 6 weeks old is approaching worthless. You need to start using an ethanol stabilizer in your fuel for infrequently started bikes, lawn mowers, weed eaters, blowers, etc. If the bike regularly sits for months, then it's best to simply go ahead and completely drain the tank and carbs.

Old ethanol fuel will clog the smaller jets in your carbs and coat everything else with a film. This film will lead to lean running and inaccurate seating/ sealing of the float needle. And the first time you try to start the engine it will foul the plugs.

► The rule of thumb for battery charging is charging current should be 1/10 of the battery's AH rating. (So for 16AH battery, use 1.6A max.) For maintenance, I would not apply this for more than 1 hour every 2-3 weeks. Overcharging kills more batteries than undercharging, especially since the advent of the "maintenance charger". Recent research for electric cars has revealed that batteries really don't like to be "fully charged". So the best thing you can do for your infrequently ridden bike is to simply disconnect one battery terminal and do limited maintenance charging only when the voltage falls below 12V. The best possible solution would be to find one battery that fits all your bikes and move it around as required.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 03/19/2016 00:51
Pat Restaino
(@bikerboy108)
Topic starter

Found out Odyssey was 9-10 years old..!! Thanks all got a Moto Batt 32 AH 385 CCA !! 2yr warranty

http://www.motobatt.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=109&year=87-95&cc=1000&manufacturer_id=21&category_id=63&model_id=534

Posted : 03/20/2016 20:11

Advertisement

Scroll to top