Clear all

Bean can rebuild

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Ben Furey
(@barron-von-parry)
Topic starter

Hi all I was wondering if anybody could direct me to a good write up for rebuilding the bean can? I have the high idle once the bike warms up I replaced the hall effect switch with no result. I didn't replace the springs yet I may do that but if I need to remove the bean can again to replace springs I could really use some good direction on what to look for and replace what special grease is needed what to use to seal the cap since the the old foam seal disintegrated. Any help/links would be appreciated, since I have more time on my hands as of late I would like to nip this in the bud and stop dragging the clutch to slow down the high idle.

Thanks,
Ben

Posted : 04/25/2020 14:58
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Agree with Scot. Newer EI products now store the advance curve in software, which entirely removes all the need for mechanical advance mechanisms. These older mechanical devices depend upon good springs, lubricated mechanisms, and zero mechanical wear to operate smoothly and reliably in a VERY harsh environment.

Additionally, and maybe more importantly.... fuels have changed drastically since the mid-1980's and the advance curves have changed with them. Restoring an older bean can to 1980 specs for a fuel that no longer exists is somewhat, as the saying goes, throwing good money after bad. The newer EI products will be programmed with advance curves that better fit today's fuels.

I rebuilt the points-style bean can on my 1979 RT with a totally electronic EI from Boyer and I've been very happy with its performance. I did experience other electrical issues related to connector corrosion, but since its installation running and idling have been the very least of my worries.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 04/26/2020 11:59
Ben Furey
(@barron-von-parry)
Topic starter

Thanks for all your help I wish I would have done that before buying a new HE sensor. Maybe I can sell my can and new HE sensor to re-coop my losses to buy the Alpha Ignition. Do you guys know anyone that would need an old bean can and new HE sensor 😉

Posted : 04/30/2020 14:24
Michael McNight
(@blue-1)
Trusted Member

Just another option.

EME has a rebuilt bean can exchange program, https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/beancanreman.htm .
The cost is $280, but they refund you $100 when you send them your old bean-can.

Something to think about, especially if you want to keep your Airhead stock.

Posted : 05/13/2020 03:34

Advertisement

Scroll to top