Center-Stand Spring

3 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
Michael McNight
(@blue-1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I bought my 1980 R100T bike off e-Bay. My first Airhead.

It didn't come with a center-stand. I upgraded the side stand to a Brown side-stand.

I bought all the parts to add a center-stand. But I have a few questions on how to install it.
* I got the right return spring installed, I think it's correct.
* I have to mount a bracket for the left return spring(see photo below).
* I'm not sure which way the bracket mounts, and which hole is for the center-stand spring, and which hole is for the side-stand spring.
* Any help would be greatly appreciated

Posted : 08/29/2019 01:43
Michael McNight
(@blue-1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Currently, I have my center-stand spring mounted to (Hole-B), what I believe is the bottom hole.

When I come off the center-stand it only comes up about half-way on it's own. I can move it up the rest of the way with my foot, and it stays up fine on it's own.

So, I'm not sure if I got the bracket mounted correctly, the left spring mounted correctly, or if it just needs to be broke-in. Then again, perhaps this is just a characteristic of Airhead center-stands?

Posted : 08/29/2019 02:01
Michael McNight
(@blue-1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Ah... thanks for the reply. Thank-you.
I've seen that same drawing on MaxBMW's website. I deduced from that drawing that the bracket goes to the front engine mounting bolt.

The two return springs( ) would be way-to-long if I mounted the bracket at the rear of the engine. These are long springs!

I do have part #6 mounted to the right front engine mounting bolt. The privious owner left that one. Must have needed it for spacing. And my right retun spring is attached to it. That spring seems to be working ok holding up the centerstand all by it's self. Just not strong enough to pull the center-stand up by it's self.

Last night I moved the left side spring from Hole-B, to Hole-A. Just to see if it made a difference. It did, now the center-stand won't stay up at all. So I guess Hole-B is the correct hole for the center-stand spring, and Hole-A must be for the side-stand spring. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Today I'll move the left spring back to Hole-B and just give it time to break-in on my brand-new center-stand.

Thanks again...

Posted : 08/29/2019 14:51

Advertisement

Scroll to top