FORUM

Notifications
Clear all

Converting fairing lamps to dual filament ?

14 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
12.9 K Views
Richard W
(@wobbly)
Topic starter

In an effort to achieve more frontal visibility, I'm considering converting the blinkers on my RS to dual filament bulbs. In that way they could also be running lights powered off the center running light.

My question is not how to wire them but rather how to physically install the dual filament or separate bulb. I can't seem to come up with a clean way to do this conversion. Anybody ever done this type thing ?

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/05/2017 18:28
Richard W
(@wobbly)
Topic starter

Snowbum details converting the lamp sockets to take dual filament 1157 bulbs on his web site. I made the conversion following his directions and found that the 1157s draw so much current even my high capacity alternator was sometimes unable to keep up.

That's pretty scary ! Thanks for the tip.

Posted : 07/06/2017 10:55
Kenneth McDonald
(@13293)

I got runnin' lights .Its a dual filament kit you install in the signal housing. It was straightforward and I really like the visibility
http://www.run-n-lites.com/

Posted : 11/03/2017 14:53
Richard W
(@wobbly)
Topic starter

Many thanks for that !!

Posted : 11/03/2017 23:07
Richard W
(@wobbly)
Topic starter

Many thanks for that !!

Posted : 11/03/2017 23:08
Lawrence Ayotte
(@8244)
Eminent Member

I just installed run-n-lites on my R65 and went with SuperBrites 1157 LEDs. Let me assure you that they don't fit. Their shape prevents them from going in far enough to lock. I questioned the company before I ordered them and was assured that they would fit. So, now I'm on the hunt for some that will fit.

Mark

Posted : 02/06/2018 08:27
Richard W
(@wobbly)
Topic starter

I have come to the conclusion that the only realistic solution for the RS and RT is to...

1) Buy an after-market metal socket for the dual filament bulb, then modify the BMW all-plastic socket to accept the metal unit and epoxy it into place. Bulb replacement would remain from the front side.

2) Then, to insure that the BMW plastic housing could withstand the thermal issues of an always-ON running light, purchase amber LED dual filament bulbs for the front.

I think this is much more straightforward than any of the electronic units now offered.

Posted : 02/06/2018 12:38
Lawrence Ayotte
(@8244)
Eminent Member

I suppose that I could do that (I actually have those sockets here) and use the super brights instead of returning them. I'm betting that there are LEDs out there that will fit these run-n-lites, though.

Mark

Posted : 02/06/2018 16:01
Richard W
(@wobbly)
Topic starter

Only single filaments are going to fit the stock lamp socket. On a dual filament bulb, the teets on the side of the bulb are offset to prevent installing the bulb wrong direction OR substituting a single filament bulb. It's the ability to accept an offset teet bulb that's the reason for the entirely new socket.

Posted : 02/06/2018 17:19
Lawrence Ayotte
(@8244)
Eminent Member

Yup, that is what I'm talking about. I have the BMW plastic sockets that came on the bike and a pair of metal 1157 sockets and pigtails. Got any amount of epoxy and all three kinds of super glue on hand. Probably should have done that instead of buying those run-n-lites.

Mark

Posted : 02/07/2018 07:11
Lawrence Ayotte
(@8244)
Eminent Member

Done deal! I ripped the run-n-lites out and replaced with the modified oem sockets with the SuperBrights leds. Now I have 3 led tail/brake lights back there and they are VERY BRIGHT!

Mark

Posted : 02/07/2018 14:52
Jim Wilson
(@1559)
Estimable Member

i haven't yet converted the front RS blinkers but i did the rears years ago. I made a new plate and attached the electropods.

Posted : 02/10/2018 16:36
Richard W
(@wobbly)
Topic starter

Harry -
No pun intended, but that's brilliant ! In an RT or RS faring, one could actually leave the OEM bulb in place and simply add the amber running lamp module.

Thanks !

Posted : 02/10/2018 21:46
Jim Wilson
(@1559)
Estimable Member

true be told here Wob

it's a red electropod & a white electropod
the 'red' pod . . shows red thru the amber lens, the white 'pod' . . . shows amber thru the amber lens.

there are ALL SORTS of new LED lamps and sockets avavilable now a dayz . . . . . I've adapted an LED headlamp on my 39 chief plus adding a 9 - 'cree' lens LED lamp to a new socket for the headlamp reflector for the pilot bulb.
&
a dual LED 2'' tail lamp / brake lamp to the same 39.

there may be something even better than what I used 5-6yrs ago.

i have also converted my white RS center fairing lamp to LED

I WILL get round to the front fairing signals some day this summer.
BUTT ....... they play hell with the relay, so i had to make up an LED bulb array to see from the dash so my blinker isn't B l i n k i n g ......... while i ride.
so this was my answer

2 amber blinkers here

&

two more here on the dash that also has the warm n safe controls + + the driving lamps switches

Posted : 02/10/2018 22:01

Advertisement

Scroll to top