Clear all

electrical issue

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Bill Wegner
(@barefootboy)
Topic starter

The parking light and tail light circuit are killing my turn signals. I can figure out why if I pull the white wire off the keyed switch I have turn signals. If I put it back on , no turn signals light. The indicator light for the turn signals does light under any situation. I have a R90/6 with a sidecar. I have cleaned the connectors and the switch. Also cleaned both to the circuit board in the headlight bucket.

Thanks, Bill

Posted : 06/27/2019 19:15
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Bill -
Why don't we start with some basic info, like a model year.

The parking light and tail light circuit are killing my turn signals. I can't figure out why if I pull the white wire off the keyed switch I have turn signals. If I put it back on, no turn signals light.

FYI, I do believe that's a Light Gray wire. That might help with your schematic research.

Strange behaviors like that typically involve faulty Return wiring (what most people call "ground"). From the Brown portion of the circuit board inside the headlamp shell, run a test lead from one of the spare contacts to the negative terminal of the battery, and another to an aluminum cylinder head fin.

The indicator light for the turn signals does light under any situation.

On some years that's normal.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 06/27/2019 19:57
Bill Wegner
(@barefootboy)
Topic starter

Why don't we start with some basic info, like a model year.

1973 R90/6

Strange behaviors like that typically involve faulty Return wiring (what most people call "ground"). From the Brown portion of the circuit board inside the headlamp shell, run a test lead from one of the spare contacts to the negative terminal of the battery, and another to an aluminum cylinder head fin.

I did this with the turn signals, even ran a separate ground. Will have to look at the other circuit.

On some years that's normal.

The indicator flashed until the end of last years riding season.

Posted : 06/28/2019 14:29
Bill Wegner
(@barefootboy)
Topic starter

"Why don't we start with some basic info, like a model year."
1973 R90/6 with a sidecar

"Strange behaviors like that typically involve faulty Return wiring (what most people call "ground"). From the Brown portion of the circuit board inside the headlamp shell, run a test lead from one of the spare contacts to the negative terminal of the battery, and another to an aluminum cylinder head fin."
I did this with the turn signals, even ran a separate ground. Will have to look at the other circuit.

"On some years that's normal"
The indicator flashed until the end of last years riding season.

I did replace the old flasher relay with an led version. Putting the old one back in did not change any thing.

Posted : 06/28/2019 14:31

Advertisement

Scroll to top