FORUM

Notifications
Clear all

For Gunk In My Oilpan and How The Heck Do I Remove the Oil Filter Cover Bolts?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Matthew Morris
(@mjmorrisva)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Friends,

I am in the process of doing a (first time for me) oil and filter change on the 82 R100RT. The oilpan gasket was leaking (very slightly) due to deterioration so I decided to replace that while I was doing the fluid change. Note: Before attempting this I read (carefully) articles from Airheads.org, as well as Snowbum and Oak's thoughts on the matter and the shop manual....then took to task.

I got the oil drained, oil cooler lines off and drained, and the oilpan off. The oilpan itself looks to be in great shape. However there were small bits of what initially looked like plastic but later proved to be a solidified goop (tech term). You can stretch and pull the elastic little pieces of whatever it is apart. Its like a harder version of play-dough. On video they look black but upon further inspection they are a dark brown color.

I took a couple of videos (one before I cleaned up the oilpan and one after). I've put the links to my YouTube page below. If anyone has five minutes to view these and give me their thoughts on that these little foreign pieces of solidified goop are I would be greatly appreciative.

Also, I found the three bolts holding the oil filter cover. That's great but they look darn near impossible to remove because of access blocked by the fairing, exhaust, etc. I thought (perhaps now mistaken) I could remove them without removing the exhaust and fairing. If so, does anyone have any tips, tricks, tool suggestions, magic wands or fairy dust I can use to get at those bolts?

Video of oilpan after removal but not cleaned up: https://youtu.be/Iodk_wCeEcw

Video of oilpan after cleanup: https://youtu.be/JcbbmVagUrU

Cheers,
M

1982 R100RT

Posted : 05/29/2019 16:13
Matthew Morris
(@mjmorrisva)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Scott, thanks, much appreciated. Following up on your thoughts; how do I confirm its a weeping push rod tube seal? As for the torque wrench I have a Craftsman digi-click unit that I've calibrated so I should be ok there. I will be careful for sure and use recommended approach to offset any binding of the gasket and over-torque of the bolts. As for fitting the new oil filter, O-rings and shims....I'm about paranoid at this point. I've read the horror stories and recommended approaches to install. Fingers crossed on that one. I may be back to the forum for some help.

Thank you very much for the thoughts,
M

1982 R100RT

Posted : 05/29/2019 18:11
Richard W
(@wobbly)

how do I confirm its a weeping push rod tube seal?

► Wash the area thoroughly and then go for a 10 mile ride. When you get back it should be obvious.

► I suppose you'll also be replacing the cam chain tensioner soon too. Besides a new moving tensioner blade also get the later model tensioner spring. You'll also want to replace the cam chain.

The job is involved, but not hard. Just a long list of easy steps. It will require an alternator puller tool. That's about as complicated as it gets.

Photo of my 1988 getting the same job

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 05/29/2019 19:36

Advertisement

Scroll to top