FORUM

Notifications
Clear all

Front Break Rotor Bolts Sitting Proud and Hitting Caliper?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Richard W
(@wobbly)
Topic starter

Sorry to see that.

Your issue is that nuts and bolts are NOT supposed to be there. What you're supposed to have is low profile rivets. It is obvious that someone drilled out the rivets in order to machine the rotors or do some type of rotor service.

I would highly advise you look at a new set of rotors, and the third party rotors from EBC stop better and are several big bills less expensive than the ones from BMW.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/23/2019 14:36
Matthew Morris
(@mjmorrisva)
Eminent Member

Yes, that certainly does help sir, thank you. I figured something was amiss. It makes sense......someone was trying to "fix" the break jolting bar wobble problem I posted about before and failed miserably.

New rotors and rebuild the calipers (going to do that anyway) are in order.

M

1982 R100RT

Posted : 08/23/2019 14:46
Richard W
(@wobbly)
Topic starter

Warped rotors are/were a common issue.

As a total aside, my own feeling is that the issue is not due to poor design or materials, but due to failure of the black, flexible OEM brake hoses. They fail quietly, without making any signs, other than to make the brake pads drag (and thereby over-heat) the rotors. I must have replaced 50 of these hoses in the last 10 years (and I'm just a part-time mechanic).... Honda, Norton, Triumph, BMW it's endemic across all brands.

Posted : 08/23/2019 15:55
Matthew Morris
(@mjmorrisva)
Eminent Member

Considering that learned experience, what brand break lines do you recommend?

Cheers,
M

1982 R100RT

Posted : 08/23/2019 16:40
Richard W
(@wobbly)
Topic starter

There are literally hundreds of brake line makers using the PTFE ("Teflon") internal hose surrounded by stainless steel braid, with or without an exterior vinyl coating. These are generally known in the biz as "stainless steel" lines or hoses, but it's the internal Teflon hose that's really the prime asset.

The most prominent maker is Speigler. Bob's BMW makes their own. If you want to design your own, then there are lots of hot rod car vendors, like Summit selling pre-made and DIY lines.

https://spieglerusa.com/brakes.html

If you want to look stock, then get the Black exterior coating. Sometimes the Clear looks good on customs. Or you can get Blue and other exterior colors. However, the Plain, un-cloated lines will eat up a plastic fairing in no time.

You will be wary of the price of these lines... until the first time you apply the brakes. These lines increase the breaking efficiency tremendously. You'll feel like your stopping power doubled. Then you'll be kicking your own rear end for not making this change 20 years ago. 😛

Posted : 08/24/2019 11:32
David Barnett
(@viejo)
Eminent Member

There are literally hundreds of brake line makers using the PTFE ("Teflon") internal hose surrounded by stainless steel braid, with or without an exterior vinyl coating. These are generally known in the biz as "stainless steel" lines or hoses, but it's the internal Teflon hose that's really the prime asset.

The most prominent maker is Speigler. Bob's BMW makes their own. If you want to design your own, then there are lots of hot rod car vendors, like Summit selling pre-made and DIY lines.

https://spieglerusa.com/brakes.html

If you want to look stock, then get the Black exterior coating. Sometimes the Clear looks good on customs. Or you can get Blue and other exterior colors. However, the Plain, un-cloated lines will eat up a plastic fairing in no time.

You will be wary of the price of these lines... until the first time you apply the brakes. These lines increase the breaking efficiency tremendously. You'll feel like your stopping power doubled. Then you'll be kicking your own rear end for not making this change 20 years ago. 😛

Spot on advice...... when I switched to Speigler brake lines I was quite impressed with the improvement in the lever feel and even stopping power over the stock brake lines.

Posted : 09/07/2019 17:53
Donald Plocinski
(@6344)

You all: it is "BRAKE, BRAKES, BRAKING", not "break" !

Posted : 01/05/2020 08:36

Advertisement

Scroll to top