FORUM

Notifications
Clear all

Has anyone else accidentally kicked off their float bowl?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Victor Feno
(@tux)
Topic starter

On two separate occasions now I have managed to kick off the left side float bowl while shifting. The last time it was unfortunately run over leaving me stranded on the side of the road.

Is this a problem anyone else has had and if so how have you better secured your float bowl? Mine are held on with a metal clip that slides over the bottom of the bowl.

Bike is a 1983 R65 with original BING carbs. [attachment=621]E704A49D-

C6CB-4614-8D08-F10BBD84D99D.jpeg[/attachment]

Posted : 06/18/2018 12:26
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Yes, twice with me. Right side both times.

Preventative steps you can take....
• Stop wearing "hiking boots" and other types of lace-up boots when riding. The laces and lace rings down on the toe are what gets fouled up with the float bowl "keeper" and act to pull it to the rear. Only smooth-toed riding boots and the like from now on.

• There should be a shallow divot where the float bowl keeper wire snaps into. Take a Dremel tool and cut the notches on the bottom of the bowl for the "keeper" resting place a little (~0.020") deeper. The Dremel 1/8" dia cutter is perfect for this job.

• If the problem persists, at $45 a bowl you'll get very tired of this game. Run safety wire through the "keeper" wire at bottom center, and then forward and around the rubber intake hose. You'll need to cut the wire before removing the bowl, but safety wire is cheap compared to Bing float bowls.

PS. Your carbs are reversed, and installed on the wrong sides. The throttle and choke cables should be between the carb and the engine, not on the outside. Operation of the cables should be easier in the standard position.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 06/18/2018 15:40
Victor Feno
(@tux)
Topic starter

Wow, how’d you know I was wearing boots with laces? You know everything!
Thanks for the pointers. As always your advice is extremely helpful. And thanks for not giving me more grief about the flipped carbs. I’m glad I saw your reply before ordering the replacement.

Posted : 06/20/2018 01:21
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Wow, how’d you know I was wearing boots with laces? You know everything!

I have to admit, I have a lot of help ! 😛

Thanks for the pointers. As always your advice is extremely helpful.

Any Airhead would have done the same.

And thanks for not giving me more grief about the flipped carbs. I’m glad I saw your reply before ordering the replacement.

Giving people grief is not in my job description. I can see some advantages at the semi-annual tuning time, but that would be more than offset by having to deal with the probable increase in throttle cable tension on a daily basis.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 06/20/2018 22:56
Edward Jones
(@14979)
Trusted Member

WOW, I've had 3 different airheads, ride them hard and NEVER once had a float bowl come off. And I do wear Army issue leather lace boots to boot. Those bowl clips should be very tight, are the bowl gaskets compressed(missing) and leaving the clips loose?
If that's not the problem then safety wire is your friend.
Good luck.

Posted : 06/25/2018 20:56
James Carr
(@11771)
Eminent Member

Yep I’ve done the same!

Posted : 07/08/2018 11:53
Jim Wilson
(@1559)
Estimable Member

Is this a problem anyone else has had and if so how have you better secured your float bowl?
Mine are held on with a metal clip that slides over the bottom of the bowl.

'' Is this a problem anyone else has had and if so how have you better secured your float bowl? They are held on with a metal clip that slides over the bottom of the bowl. ''

The Bowl Wire Clip should move back-wards towards the rear of the bike to Remove the bowl.... so sliding your boot onto the foot peg/rest should not budge that wire.

To help remedy this, if it's a problem, you can :

Hand file using a very small rat tail file the 2 notches where the Spring Wire, .... seats when holding the bowl tight.

Drill a tiny hole in the alum float bowl - - - > on the outside < - - - of each bowl where it's easy to reach and where the Wire Clip touches /stops against the bowl. Attach a safety wire around the Bowl's Wire Clip thru the little hole. In a pinch a paper clip could be used.
Always keep safety wire in your travel kit.

Posted : 10/20/2018 16:33

Advertisement

Scroll to top