'83 R100RT Ignition upgrade

9 Posts
5 Users
2 Likes
T B
 T B
(@angus-briwn)
Topic starter

Anybody familiar with the Alpha V-3 ignition upgrade ? It doesn’t look like the Omega system is available anymore.

Posted : 05/02/2021 08:12
Topic Tags
Richard W
(@wobbly)

"Upgrade" may be the optimal word here. Year and model ?

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 05/02/2021 08:37
T B
 T B
(@angus-briwn)
Topic starter

1983 R100RT

Posted : 05/02/2021 19:46
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Thanks

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 05/03/2021 05:23
Rick Schroeder
(@red-horse)
Trusted Member

I installed the Motorad Electrik Alpha V.2 back in 2016 in my '81 R100RT.  It was literally plug and play. The "ears" on the ignition module came pre-ground off, necessary for our model and year.  The instructions were very clear with good pics.  I'm guessing the the V-3 version has improvements of some sort.  Rick would be able to answer that ?.  I've not had any issues since installing.  Pricey, but a good investment.

good luck,

red horse

81R100RT

Posted : 05/05/2021 08:30
T B
 T B
(@angus-briwn)
Topic starter

@red-horse     Thanks for the input. I was starting  to wonder why I bothered renewing membership. 

Posted : 05/09/2021 07:31
Joe Hall
(@joe-hall)
Trusted Member

I have read many complaints about heat related failure on aftermarket ignition 'upgrades' for our Airheads. I had an 82 R100RT for about 50,000 miles back in early 1990s, and do not recall any problems with the ignition. What, about Airhead OEM electronic ignition needs upgrade? Thanks 

Posted : 06/13/2021 11:30
John Griffin reacted
John Griffin
(@john-griffin)

Like Joe, I'd also like to understand the "why" of going aftermarket, particularly with an R100 "electronic" ignition system - like my '82 RT.

(I get that some may have a solid state advance curve. Assuming my mechanical advance is operating correctly though, is there really an advantage here?     

Or, maybe the hall sensor is flakey in our old OE ignition cans, and they're expensive or NLA from BMW?    Being me, I'd probably swap in a new hall sensor before going aftermarket, as my experience with aftermarket stuff in general is pretty checkered)

Posted : 12/11/2021 17:30
John Griffin
(@john-griffin)

Well, if you're still reading...here's my homework results:

- Lots of BMW electronic ignition part changes over the years...not all of which are compatible...lots obsolete

- Some known-to-be-flakey aftermarket stuff out there too

- Check your handlebar kill switch/wiring before "fixing" anything else - switch circuit a known culprit; often intermittent

- "Wedgetail" aftermarket replacement system has good reviews; may help with idle stability and low speed running as well

- Great source for airhead electrical stuff:  http://www.motoelekt.com

Here's the most detailed airhead ignition info I came across (made my head hurt...) :

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/Ignition.htm

Posted : 12/11/2021 20:33
Joe Hall reacted

Advertisement

Scroll to top