Installing LED bulbs on an R60/5

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Howard Stender
(@howard-stender)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I’ve tried researching this topic but haven’t found anything.  I’d like to install LED bulbs thruout a 1971 R60/5.  Are there any special considerations, other than an LED compliant turn signal relay heeded?  Anyone does this, if so, how? Thank you very much!

Posted : 11/03/2021 15:13
Richard W
(@wobbly)

• /5, /6 and /7 bikes should be OK. Like you've noted, you will need the more expensive "electronic" flasher relay.

• You might want to be very selective about the bulbs you choose...

- Since the majority of automotive bulbs are seen head on, most of the replacement LEDs display in a narrow viewing angle pattern, opposite the bulb's base. If you buy your bulbs on SuperBrightLEDs.com they'll often offer several display angles. I think a VERY wide 180° pattern would be best, but see what they offer and consider how the bulb is physically situated in the TS pod.

- Also when used under an Amber lens, you most definitely want to use an Amber LED bulb. That will help make them appear brighter since all the light that's generated makes it to the viewer's eyes.

• Similarly, you may wish to buy some Red LED bulbs for the tail lamp.

Hope this helps.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Richard W

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 11/03/2021 16:05
Howard Stender
(@howard-stender)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

@wobbly Richard, thank you very much for your advice.  I’m new here and see that I missed your reply to my introduction post.  Sorry.  

Posted : 11/04/2021 02:44
Richard W
(@wobbly)

No apology needed, my friend. Enjoy.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 11/04/2021 12:17

Advertisement

Scroll to top