Clear all

KATDASH Airhead Instrument LED Light Upgrade

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Brian Tinkler
(@11712)
Topic starter

One thing that has bugged me about my R100S is that I could not see the blue high beam indicator light, and the other instrument lights were "adequate", but just barely.
I just knew there had to be a fix for this... and KATDASH was the answer.
Very well engineered high quality product, detailed installation instructions, only took one hour to install.
I highly recommend KATDASH to every loyal Airhead owner.
https://katdash.com/

Posted : 02/14/2019 23:46
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I have seen numerous positive customer reviews of the KATDASH circuit board for the speedo-tach unit. It indeed looks to be a superior product.

However, if all you needed was brighter indicator lamps, then adding new #194 and #74 LED bulbs to the instrument cluster would accomplish the same for about $350 cheaper. I have the 1979 "green face" gauges, and so as suggested here several years ago, I replaced the illumination bulbs in all 4 gauges with green LEDs. I replaced the Hi Beam indicator with a blue LED, etc, etc.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/miniature-wedge-base/filter/Base_Type,74,1,4023:

I ride during the day with my Hi Beam ON, so it is important to me to be able to see this indicator in bright sun light. The LED indicator bulbs accomplish this task quite nicely. I can see this indicator at noon, even through sun glasses.

The only bulb that should not be converted to LED is the Alternator warning lamp. This since the resistance of the incandescent bulb figures prominently in the system charging rates.

Obviously, if your gauge pack circuit board has been molested by fools over the last 40 years, then you may only have the option of full circuit board replacement. In those cases the KATDASH is the obvious choice. However, if your circuit board is in good condition and you ONLY want a few brighter indicators, then discrete LEDs is an option to consider. I'm not saying either choice is right or wrong. Surely each case must to be considered on a very individual basis.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 02/15/2019 16:03
Brian Tinkler
(@11712)
Topic starter

Sure, I could have screwed around with the OEM board and replaced individual bulbs with LEDs, but this fix made sense to me. Screwing around with a 40 year old circuit board is a fools game. I saw bight the bullet, spend the money, get the latest technology, install it once and forget it.

Posted : 02/15/2019 22:10
Geri Malott
(@63)

Huge Improvement!!!

Posted : 03/26/2020 14:09
Eric Lodge
(@lodge4291)

I put a KATDASH into my '83 R100T. Huge improvement, with the only issue being that at night, I get a dim glow from my GEN light at all RPMs. This doesn't bother me much most of the time. According to KATDASH, I have a voltage leak somewhere in the system, and the GEN circuit is very sensitive to any voltage leak. It's a great product and well worth the cost and work involved to change out the old board.

I've changed incandescent bulbs into LEDs in other bikes, and that's a decent option as well, though a bit more fiddly.

Posted : 07/02/2020 11:59
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Mr Lodge - Welcome aboard !

The place to start might be by replacing your OEM mechanical-style voltage regulator with a modern, electronic-style equivalent... especially if you are using a sealed AGM type battery. AGM batteries like a higher charge voltage, and the mechanical-style regulators that are original equipment are about worn out at this point.

Motorrad Eliktrik sells an all-electronic unit that is set for use with AGM batteries.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/02/2020 17:26

Advertisement

Scroll to top