Lighting question

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
10.2 K Views
Ben Robertson
(@14898)
Topic starter

Hello. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for this lighting issue I'm having on my 67 /2. I noticed after my ride yesterday the headlamp and taillight are staying illuminated with the key removed from the headlamp bucket. When reinserting the key I know longer have a neutral or generator light. I disconnected the battery so it would not discharge the battery and dug out my dads old Chiltons manual. Not sure what info I might or might not find in there. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Posted : 05/13/2017 22:54
Ben Robertson
(@14898)
Topic starter

Never mind, I discovered the key can be removed with the switch in the "on position ". Anyway I stuck a screwdriver in there and put the slot facing forward and all the lights are working properly now.

Posted : 05/14/2017 12:36
Richard W
(@wobbly)

It's been a long time since I was around a /2, but I can tell you that these older brass switch mechanisms really enjoy a shot of WD-40 every year or so, especially if they see water intrusion via rain or washing.

Glad you found a solution.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 05/14/2017 15:11
Jim Wilson
(@1559)
Estimable Member

i wouldn't use wd-40

i'd use a liquid graphite type spray into the lock

Posted : 06/01/2017 01:39
James Carr
(@11771)
Eminent Member

I think WD40 would be a good as it is a water displacement which is a good idea for the old style ignition switch as they are not a lock but contacts. I've had to use nails, pencils, and one time a cut down Popsicle stick to start mine,

Posted : 06/11/2017 22:16
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

/2 and /5 key mechanism is the same. What I discovered on my /5 is that WD40 will lubricate the mechanism to the extent that the ball detent and groove in the nail key might slip just enough to disengage the ingition circuit.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 06/16/2017 10:31
Ben Robertson
(@14898)
Topic starter

Thanks for all the tips guys!! I will try a DROP of some sort of graphite type lubricant. I've read somewhere one drop, once a year is good. Everything seems to be good now. As I mentioned earlier I pulled the key out while it was still partially turned, in turn leaving the headlamp on. Total rookie mistake. The bike was my dads and I'm still learning this old machine which is a new motorcycle to me. I'm definitely not one with the bike yet by any means. Thanks again for all the tips guys, and safe travels!!!

Posted : 08/18/2017 22:46

Advertisement

Scroll to top