Clear all

New Clutch Pack Replacement

23 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
David Elkow
(@4949)
Reputable Member

I just sent my compression ring, friction disk, and pressure plate to Southland Clutch for refurbishment. Trying this route instead of all new components. I did purchase a new HD spring. I will follow up with my impressions as well. 

I had forgotten how pretty my flywheel looks!  It was lightened and balanced by Bob’s BMW back in the late 90’s. My name is still on it, written with a sharpie 25 years ago. 

Posted : 01/26/2022 19:35
David Wallace
(@david-wallace)
Eminent Member

@4949 David - Wow, yes, pretty indeed.  Did you get a before and after weight?  And, were you happy with the performance results?  I haven't read up on it in quite some time, but seem to recall there's lots of opinions on both sides of that subject.

Having Southland Clutch machine refurbish your existing parts should additionally help to keep the weight down versus new parts.

Posted : 01/26/2022 20:23
J.T. Sutton
(@j-t-sutton)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

@4949 

Holy Cow!. I had read about flywheels being lightened, but have never actually seen a picture of one. It is a thing of beauty indeed. Am a little surprised how much material was actually removed. Is this a service that Bob's still offers? When you initially had this done, what performance benefits/changes did you see? 

I have a buddy who sent his '78 R100/7 clutch pack to Southland and has been super happy with their work. Never heard a bad thing about them. Being as I have a very limited historical knowledge of this bike I'm working on, I just decided to take it back to as close to new as possible.  This is a project bike that I'm trying to use as a learning tool. Am slowing going over the whole thing. At some point I hope to have it so I feel like I could ride it anywhere (and hope to do so).

Posted : 01/27/2022 07:17
David Elkow
(@4949)
Reputable Member

@j-t-sutton Good to hear the opinion on Southland Clutch. I have had a couple phone conversations with them, and they seem very knowledgeable and “on it”.

It’s been 25 years since the flywheel lightening, so hard to remember details. I know that I never felt that there was any loss of smoothness. Still idles very nicely. I think that performance wise, the bike “winds-up” quicker, especially in the lower gears. 

Posted : 01/27/2022 20:18
J.T. Sutton
(@j-t-sutton)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

@david-wallace 

Wanted to provide a follow-up to my clutch replacement. All parts went back together as expected with no apparent gremlins. It took a little while to be able to start the bike due to some other items I've been struggling with. But, once they were squared away, it fired right up. I do agree there is more vibration at idle. Last week provided a rare 60 degree day and luck had it that I had enough spare time to spend a couple of hours riding this bike. The idle vibration completely went away with even the slightest twist of the throttle. Everything seemed to work great. The clutch actually felt smoother. Most likely the result of the well lubed splines. I didn't notice any slipping, noise or clutch smell. Hopefully, after a few thousand miles, everything will "wear itself into balance". That may be wishful thinking. So, we'll see. 

My new clutch kit also had a cast compression ring. But in comparing, so did my old clutch.  So I should be close to the same weight there. 

I'm anxious to here your thoughts once you're able to get out and put some miles on your bike. 

Posted : 02/20/2022 08:39
David Elkow
(@4949)
Reputable Member

My clutch found it’s way home from Southland Clutch. Looks like they did a great job. Everything is back together (with a new HD clutch spring), and working very well. I’ve only had a chance for a couple 20-30 mile rides, but excellent thus far. 

Posted : 02/20/2022 19:45
David Wallace
(@david-wallace)
Eminent Member

JT and David  -    Good to hear your clutch rebuilds have gone well.  My bike is still sitting on the battery tender waiting for spring to break here in new england.  I'll let you know once I do get mine registered and on the road, I expect everything will be fine.

Posted : 02/20/2022 20:57
David Wallace
(@david-wallace)
Eminent Member

Hi All   -    Kind of a late follow up, but yes my clutch rebuild results have all been positive.  Smooth operation and what I thought was excess vibration was just due to too low idle rpms.  All good!  I think brand new parts, or Southland Clutch rebuild provide equal results, just don't mix old worn pressure plate and compression rings with a new friction plate like I did the first time!

Posted : 06/13/2022 14:53
David Elkow reacted
Page 2 / 2

Advertisement

Scroll to top