R100GS centerstand shortened

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
James Bounds
(@11108)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I replaced my stock rear shock with a Wilber shock 1 1/2 inches shorter to help with short legs . Now my center stand is too tall , i shortened the bottom portion of stand the same amount below the cross member and now it is impossible to get on center stand. I guess it changes the pivot point to where now it is useless . Should i have shortened above the cross member ? If so it changes the spring length to where they will not work and need shorter springs ? Where would one find shorter springs and is this the correct way?

Posted : 04/06/2016 15:26
John Marchant
(@15235)
Eminent Member

Nothing seems to have become of this thread - no follow up. So here I am - coming in late, following up

I'm curious because I'm having a devil of a time getting my 1989 R100GS up on the centerstand. I'm no featherweight, having a liking for the brew. I jump on the pedal at the same time as I heave up and back on the underseat handle and it's a 50/50 deal whether or not the bike lifts far enough to settle back on the centerstand. My bike has a White Power (WP) rear shock. I've no idea whether or not this is a stock item. When the bike is on the centerstand there's (at least) two inches of clearance between the floor and the bottom of the front tire. The tires are stock sizes 21" and 17".

I share a parking space in the condo garage with a neighbor who has a R1200. He's not around much at this time of year, so hard to ask him any questions. When I look at the R1200 there's (maybe) 1/2 inch of daylight under his front tire.

Simple physics dictate that the higher you have to hoist an object, the more effort you have to put into the job. The next step (provided this list doesn't come up with an answer) is to get out the measuring equipment and set the whole problem to paper.

Someone must already know the answer: removing an inch from the stand legs should reduce the effort. Removing that inch below the spring attach point doesn't significantly change the effort required, it just guarantees that you don't mess up the spring geometry.

Keep the shiny side "Up"
March

Common sense isn't very common, any more.

Posted : 05/10/2016 21:27

Advertisement

Scroll to top