Clear all

stator wiring

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Mike Morris
(@14974)
Topic starter

I bought a basket case R90/6 recently and the wires were unsoldered from the "WVU" tab with the male spade parts. I have searched for a diagram on how to identify which wire gets soldered on which spade, but with no "for sure" results...Just pictures of the entire stator but you really cannot tell which wire is which from the pictures. I guess the previous owner was going to replace the shabby insulation on each of the three wires but lost interest about then and I came along. It looks like each of the three small wires comes out of the stator at different locations, (front, middle, back), so I need someone to provide a method of identifying which is which. Can anyone help...Pictures, descriptions, volt/ohm meter, testing, etc.? I sure would appreciate the help. Thanks, The Old Hippie

Posted : 03/18/2016 01:42
Lee Dickinson
(@3480)

You are in luck. It doesn't matter..

Unreconstructed Southerner living in occupied Georgia.

Posted : 03/18/2016 08:37
Mike Morris
(@14974)
Topic starter

Thank you very much for responding to my situation. Now THAT is crazy to me because by normal "rules of attachment", green goes to green, etc., so being the anal person that I am, I don't really understand why it works that way on the charging system. Guess all I have to do is solder it and see. Thanks for the information and wish me luck.
The Old Hippie 🙂

Posted : 03/18/2016 15:02
Erik Schuster
(@11751)

There are three separate wires in the stator to produce a 3 phase AC current. Those 3 wires are run to your diode board. Your diode board does not care which phase is attached to what diode. Your diode board then rectifies the alternating current to DC current that will charge your battery.

Posted : 03/22/2016 20:56
Mike Morris
(@14974)
Topic starter

To My New Friend, 11751,
Fantastic! So good to have your fine reason that the wiring is attached at random. The diode board is smart enough to take care of electrical dummies like me. So happy to have this information. HAPPY DAY! Thanks, The Old Hippie

Posted : 03/23/2016 17:33
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Thank you very much for responding to my situation. Now THAT is crazy to me because by normal "rules of attachment", green goes to green, etc.,

Your mental picture is completely True for the balance of the wiring system harness. Because of the presence of a battery, the main electrical harness must be a Direct Current system. In DC systems varying power levels of fixed polarity flow directly from A to B, as if on a one-way street. Therefore, green wire must connect to green, red to red, etc.

However, the alternator produces Alternating Current, which is of a completely different nature. In AC systems the power constantly flip-flops (alternates) from positive to negative. Because the 3 alternator outputs are of equal power but changing polarity, it makes no difference how they are connected to the rectifier. The rectifier then sorts the negative charges from positive charges, and corrects (rectifies) everything as it should be for use in the DC system.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 05/20/2016 18:47

Advertisement

Scroll to top