R75/7 Tachometer Issue

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Andrew Lane
(@andrew-lane)
Topic starter

Hey all,

A small issue has developed recently with my bike... once the tach hits 3,500 RPM, the needle goes crazy and starts swinging wildly. The tach functions normally when revs are below 3,500, but it starts swinging right as it touches 35. What could be the cause of this and how can I go about fixing it?
Thanks,
Andrew

Posted : 08/04/2020 20:29
john stirling
(@arni)
Trusted Member

Knowing the year of the bike may or may not help. Off the top of my head I do not know if you have a mechanical tach or an electronic one. The mechanical one is driven by a cable that emerges from a rubber grommet on the left upper part of the front cover. The cable will go into the right rear of the instrument pod. The electronic tach is driven by a wire from the coil and may have the word "electronic" on the dial at the bottom.

If the tach needle is swinging both above 3500 mark and below it then it needs to go to the shop. If it is just swinging below (tach 'dropping out') and it is electronic you may just have a bad connection and some vibration happening at 3500 is wiggling the connection. In that case check the connection at the coil first then open the instrument pod and check the pins and wires. Take pictures if you open the pod.

There is one small gotcha when you go into the instrument pod----spun inserts on the small screws. You will see the cracked plastic around them. If found ask and I will write up something on the repair, it's easy.

Terry Vlra does good work on those and is reasonably priced.

Posted : 08/05/2020 00:44

Advertisement

Scroll to top